Air Filter Soaked in Oil

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Idle felt a little rough lately so decided to check things out clean the filter and maf.

Come to see its soaked in oil down to the stabilizer bar.. lost about a half quart of oil. It also ran down to the coils. Hit the gas today and a huge cloud of smoke randomly blew out the tailpipes although didnt happen again. obv not good. Recently switched to full synthetic valvoline.

I know the secondary timing chain has a rattle on the drivers side. Is it possible its slinging oil up the tube being its directly below it? Not looking to replace the motor:( I'll barely lose a 1/4 of a quart on a regular oil change interval. Last car had with bad rings was losing a good 2 quarts and fouled the o2 sensors and cats but that took a while. Im at 142k miles and id say the engine is clean.

20230207_131305.jpg

Last edited:
With the engine idling, take the oil fill cap off. If air is puffing out, bad. If you put your hand over it and there is a slight suction, good.

With the engine idling, take the oil fill cap off. If air is puffing out, bad. If you put your hand over it and there is a slight suction, good.

Not sure how much "suction" you would feel on the LS. I couldnt feel a thing so I put both a receipt and paper napkin on top and it will just slightly give off enough air to vibrate and move it around a little but not enough to puff it off.. id say its neutral if anything.. i also have an a/f intake on so it might reduce the suction. I guess next a leak down test.

Last edited:
So it got worse last night.. oil spraying all over.. puddle under the filter..

Flashing CEL came on and a "distinct" bad misfire.. usually can still drive on 1 bad coil but had a major powerloss. No fail safe mode.

Got off the road and the car died in park. Swapped coils first no change. Blue smoke blowing out this time and a bad clanking noise. Pull cyclinder #6 plug and its covered in fresh oil. Guess the motor went..

Debating to part out, get another engine if its worth it at this point in time or if this one is even repairable? Beyond my knowledge..
20230212_134444.jpg

So it got worse last night.. oil spraying all over.. puddle under the filter..

Flashing CEL came on and a "distinct" bad misfire.. usually can still drive on 1 bad coil but had a major powerloss. No fail safe mode.

Got off the road and the car died in park. Swapped coils first no change. Blue smoke blowing out this time and a bad clanking noise. Pull cyclinder #6 plug and its covered in fresh oil. Guess the motor went..

Debating to part out, get another engine if its worth it at this point in time or if this one is even repairable? Beyond my knowledge..View attachment 828577593
I don't think they are repairable depending what happened, I've been trying to put a new engine in mine for about year now, only options seems to be junkyards and the first one was faulty, they dropped the second one while delivering it and broke it, currently waiting on a 3rd donor engine and hopefully it works.

About to dismantle it. Hoping to avoid a new motor. I found the rings but no luck on rod bearings.

Terrys Jag carries green, yellow & blue for two series 4.0, new and late. They have no measurements on either. Tech recommended I order them and just measure since there is no other way besides getting another motor.

The two threads on here mention they have successfully rebuilt with the 4.0 bearings but no info on which or where they go. Also the manual says nothing.

Spin a Bearing, win a prize! My 01 LS V8 quest for bearings.

Last edited:
Debating to part out, get another engine if its worth it at this point in time or if this one is even repairable? Beyond my knowledge..

In your case a chain tensioner may have failed. That could mean a piston hit a valve. That would/could explain the oil on the plug, and the bad misfire.

Pull the front cover and the head on the one side.

Members online

No members online now.
Back