air conditioning

allornothing

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 conti and last week when it got hot I put the AC on and no cold air. I'm assuming it's just in need of a recharge, is this a do it yourself kind of thing. I'm not very mechanical but I can do basic stuff. I was going to buy one of those freon kits and add it myself, any advice from the experts.

Thanks I really enjoy this site and the info provided.

make sure that the a/c compressor turns on when you turn on the a/c,you should feel the engine idle a little faster,but if you want to be sure,look at the compressor itself,you should see the cluth engaging every little while,if everything works,then you should recharge the system.

The clutch will not pull in for a number of reasons; refrigerant charge is too low, bad cycling switch, bad clutch, wiring short, etc. so don't use that as a diagnostic.

If you really want to tackle this yourself, I would invest in a set of A/C gauges. You can get them pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. Check the pressures on the high and low side. If you have the factory shop manual it will tell you what the readings should be on both sides. I'm sure someone here can look it up for you if you lack the manuals.

You can add R134a yourself at home, but I recommend against using anything that has a sealant or stop leak in it. This can clog the orifice tube and you'll have a bigger job on your hands.

If you have a leak, it should be corrected properly. Many times it is a simple as an o-ring replacement, but it could be a leaking hose, reciever/dryer, condenser or whatever. In your shoes, I would probably just charge the system if needed and see how long it lasts.

My '97 has a slight leak and ends up low over the winter. One recharge with a $6 can of R134a and I'm good until next the next spring. Given the age of the car, that makes a lot more sense to me than hundreds of dollars spent tracking down the leak. If your leak is fast, you may have no choice but to fix it. Take it to a shop for that kind of work if you don't know what you're doing.

A shop will put UV dye in the system to pinpoint the leak. They will replace the component and then pull a vacuum to get all air out of the system. They will then fill the system with the proper amount of oil and refrigerant and test. It will be expensive.

Thanks for the info, I have a set of shop manuals that I got on ebay. I'll give it a whirl and see how long it lasts. I'm with you if I can get a year at a time out of it, that works for me, especially on an eleven year old car.

I just had the same problem with my 99 conti, and took to my mechanic yesterday. I do have a leak, and it took 12 oz of R134 a. He said that this could last thru the summer or next, or just a couple of weeks. His suggestion was to see how long the recharge lasts, and then make a decision. If the leak isn't too bad, I'll just keep recharging if it will get me thru the Texas summer. He said the part that he needs to replace is not all that expensive, but the labor for all the things he's going to have to take out to get to it is going to run me $200-300. Seeing as my car is 10 1/2 years old, I'm hoping this recharge will at least get me thru the summer. Good luck. Bill.

Members online

No members online now.
Back