Air conditioning problem

thebaum

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 LS with about 118000 miles. last summer my air was not working as well as it should. I read and posted on here and received good advice and help. I replaced the DCCV based on that valve and the symptoms. My air was warm at idle and would get colder on the freeway. The driver side was colder than the passenger side. wasn't a huge difference, but noticeable by anyone who rode in it. Needless to say the DCCV didnt fix it.

So, I had it checked out by an ac shop. They said the pressures were off (high side was low and low side was high) and that I needed a complete ac overhaul at $2000. I posted on here back then and Joe (who has been very, very helpful) said that is was most likely the compressor going back. Not having $2000 and with fall approaching (the AC is just fine at sub 90 degreee temps) I put it off.

This summer, it was bad again. Not any worse than before, but to the point where I wanted to fix it. I bought a new motorcraft compressor, clutch, drier and synthetic r134a. I had a friend (mechanic) help with the work. All new parts, pressures are good....air was pretty cold at first. couple days later my wife and I took a little drive and she was NOT impressed. Air at times was very cold, but it was intermittent. Also air is still noticeably colder on driver side. I got out and noticed the compressor was engaging and disengaging. few hours later I hooked up a gauge to the Low port and pressure was great compressor was engaged and was not disengaging. air was so so....

What could it be? could it be that this is actually the expansion valve? bad dccv? (been over a year since that was replaced). I was excited to have cold air, especially after putting all motorcraft parts in, but now im disappointed and dont really know what else to do. I dont want to keep dumping money in without fixing the problem.

This site has been great for help, thanks for any advice on this issue.

Probably the expansion valve, since you know that your old compressor was toast. It may have spread little bits of metal through the whole system. These little bits may not only be intermittently clogging the expansion valve, they may also already be destroying the new compressor.

You need to do a real pressure check, looking at high and low side pressures. You also need to find out why the compressor was cycling. It was either (a) evap temperature going too low or bad evap temperature sensor, (b) high side pressure going too high (clogged valve), or (c) failing AC clutch, relay, or electronics.

This is why the AC shop wanted $2K to take the dash apart and change out the expansion valve, compressor, dryer, and flush everything else all at the same time. I fear that this may all still need to be done.

Oh, the pressure was actually around 35.

So if I replace the expansion valve at this point, can I just replace that or do I have to do everything, again....?

Posted via Topify using Android

Everything, I suspect. Everything includes flushing it very well. Removing the dash is a major undertaking. You don't want to do it twice.

Wow, so you're saying I have to buy a whole new compressor, clutch, drier, in addition to the expansion valve? Ouch, $700 down the drain!

Wow, so you're saying I have to buy a whole new compressor, clutch, drier, in addition to the expansion valve? Ouch, $700 down the drain!

Well, you can take a chance on the new compressor still being okay and not having metal bits from the last compressor in it. If your gamble is wrong (again), then you'll be doing everything all over again.

Well, you can take a chance on the new compressor still being okay and not having metal bits from the last compressor in it. If your gamble is wrong (again), then you'll be doing everything all over again.

Okay, thanks for all your help. its my luck it would be the expansion valve. I finally ponied up the $700 or so in parts (and went with motorcraft!) only to be disappointed. Not really sure what Im going to do as I dont have the time or ability to replace the expansion valve myself. looks like im looking at $2000 all over again! Not sure the car is worth it at this point.

Again, i appreciate your help.

Just to be clear. I do think that you had a bad compressor. It's what killed your expansion valve.

Members online

Back