Air Bag Solenoids

ridindirrty

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What's shakin' LVC Crew! Is it possible to re & re the air bag solenoids with the spring still in the car?:feedback It's the fronts I'm talking about if it makes a difference. Any tips? I hear they are attatched with some sort of clip that can be somewhat finicky.:Bang Thanks!

Dirty,
Yep it can be done. The metal clips that lock them in place can be rusty and therefore break when you try to remove them. The solinoids can, with difficulty, be removed and replaced without completely removing the bags. Oh, and yes they seem to stay in place, no leaks, without replacing the metal keeper clips. Good luck.

What's shakin' LVC Crew! Is it possible to re & re the air bag solenoids with the spring still in the car?:feedback It's the fronts I'm talking about if it makes a difference. Any tips? I hear they are attatched with some sort of clip that can be somewhat finicky.:Bang Thanks!

I just got done working on the front springs, so it's fresh in my mind..

To work on the driver side, turn the steering to the right.. that'll give you a clear view and room to work. Jack up that side of the frame a little.. or just remove the wheel for easiest access.

First remove the solenoid wire socket and the airline. (Push down on the tiny orange ring around the airline and then pull up on the line.)

The half-circle spring steel clips are behind the solenoid when you look at it. Stick a thin flat screwdriver under one end and pry it outwards.. it'll release on it's own. Keep a finger on the clip so it doesn't pop away and get lost.
Once one end is loose the clip is free.

The solenoid is removed by turning it counter-clockwise. At about 1/8 turn it will pop upwards about 1/2 inch from air pressure, but it has a stop, preventing it from popping out.
After all the air rushes out, turn it another 1/8 turn and it can be pulled all the way out.

If you can't turn it at all by hand, get a slip-joint pliers around it and carefully turn it a little bit to loosen it up.. don't be alarmed by the sudden rush of high pressure air when it pops.. the little o-rings at the bottom of the solenoid are likely to be blown out of their grooves.

Chances are you will want to replace the o-rings. A slow leak due to bad rings can be seen with soapy water spray around the installed solenoid.. foamy bubbling..
Soapy water around the bottom of the airbags often reveals slow leakage from cracked, deteriorating rubber.. Watch the lower curvature of the rubber as the bag fills and empties. A leak may only show up when that part of the rubber bag is bent at the bottom.

New O-rings and other parts are available at from Strutmasters.. or is it American Air Suspensions.. or both. Anyway, i got the parts i needed from a low milage junker..

Excellent description, this should help a whole lot, Thanks! Before i actually do this job a couple more questions. The front bags lose air while driving but when I let them inflate after i park it they stay full for days. More than once after parking the car i actually see the car drop rapidly and hear the air rushing out of the bags. I fire the car back up the bags fill and no more leak. It's all very (seemingly) random.
The first time I caught this it was the front driver side only but now it has rapidly progressed to both front bags. What does this mean. It sure appears to me to be a solenoid that's on the way out. Could this be a problem @ the compressor/dryer?
Yes, I have thoroughly scanned the forums but I personally haven't arrived at a conclusion that satisfies me. Figured I'd start with the solenoids. Any Thoughts?

Excellent description, this should help a whole lot, Thanks! Before i actually do this job a couple more questions. The front bags lose air while driving but when I let them inflate after i park it they stay full for days. More than once after parking the car i actually see the car drop rapidly and hear the air rushing out of the bags. I fire the car back up the bags fill and no more leak. It's all very (seemingly) random.
The first time I caught this it was the front driver side only but now it has rapidly progressed to both front bags. What does this mean. It sure appears to me to be a solenoid that's on the way out. Could this be a problem @ the compressor/dryer?
Yes, I have thoroughly scanned the forums but I personally haven't arrived at a conclusion that satisfies me. Figured I'd start with the solenoids. Any Thoughts?

You've accurately described my previous condition. The leak seemed totally random. While my leak was in the left front air spring only, the front of the car dropped. The passenger side would end up only slightly (one inch?) higher.
Since the system is active for an hour after the ignition is off, and the car sometimes (but not always) dropped after parking, the electrical system/controller was suspect.

After messing with it over the years, it got bad. The "check suspension" lamp lit about 3 times while driving and the suspension dropped. I pulled over. The compressor was very hot to the touch. It had been working VERY hard.

So, I finally decided to fix it and went through the entire system, including the self-test sequences (again). I swapped a few parts, including the one driverside solenoid.. but no joy. (To test a solenoid just pull it's color-coded line from the dryer. Air either will or won't slowly exhaust from that line. The only other place a solenoid can leak is from it's little o-rings inside it's mounting boss on the spring.)
Anyway, I could not find the sequence of events to make it fall on command, ie turn off ignition / open door, get out / shut door.. listen to it pump up and then wait for it to deflate.. it was a real brain teaser.

---
My problem was a simple leaking 'bag'. The rubber is thin.. a one-ply fabric with a rubber coating. Let me talk about these things for a moment and share the mental picture..

First off, the rubber must flex into a 180 degree U-shape at the bottom during use. The flexing stretches the rubber's outside surface. Ozone attacks the rubber and causes those tiny cracks, like in a old tire sidewall that's been attacked by ultraviolet and ozone.

The cracks extend all the way through, but they don't always allow air through. The cracked areas, which are usually on the exposed tire-side of the spring, must be under a particular degree of stress to open the cracks.
Sometimes the cracks are slightly above or below (inside) the U-shaped bottom curve. The car does not settle to precisely the same height every time it's parked, so the spring doesn't always leak down.

Anyway, i was down there the otherday, spraying soapy water as i had done many times before, when i saw for the FIRST TIME small bubbles all around that outboard side of the lower part of the bag.. and i was happy. My suspension was 99% fixed in my mind.

A trip to the junkyard.. an '89 LSC with springs that were still full of air and hard after a maybe a year of sitting in the weather.. and the rubber was smooth, black and clean. They cost me $40 each for the fronts... not a great deal but who cared at that point.. not me.

If i have any worries it's the compressor which was over-taxed for a month or so, overheated and seemingly frozen the piston. I used a wet rag to cool it off on the side of the road for about 5 minutes. It then pumped as normal.
But thus far, the problem is gone and it's as if it never existed. The car actually steered a lot better.. Encouraged, I have since installed new struts and shocks.. parts about $200 there plus some sweat. Thursday is new mufflers for about $150..

ok.. try this. Get it pumped up and spray soapy water on the spring. Use good lighting and watch closely as it deflates. Having someone sit on the fender might provoke it to deflate.
I hope you have my luck and see the leak(s).

one more thing lest i forget.
Soapy water was not effective. I guess there's some trick to adding just the right amount of soap or type of soap... Or the grease on the spring neutralizes it or something.. but it didn't work for me.

I used some of that kids stuff for blowing bubbles.. you know... Mr. Bubble or something and poured it into a spray bottle. That stuff has added ingredients including glycerine, and makes large strong bubbles.

one more thing lest i forget.
Soapy water was not effective. I guess there's some trick to adding just the right amount of soap or type of soap... Or the grease on the spring neutralizes it or something.. but it didn't work for me.

I used some of that kids stuff for blowing bubbles.. you know... Mr. Bubble or something and poured it into a spray bottle. That stuff has added ingredients including glycerine, and makes large strong bubbles.

That's one of the BEST tech answers I've ever read :)

Too cool. I'm going to steal your idea and make millions.

Also read this article.

http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/airSpringSolenoid.pdf

That's one of the BEST tech answers I've ever read :)

Too cool. I'm going to steal your idea and make millions.

Also read this article.

http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/airSpringSolenoid.pdf

Thanks, I appreciate that.. but after reviewing your link i see a couple of things i neglected to mention, like turning off the air system.. nice pix btw.
Working on anything under this his car scares me. I've seen it drop to within an inch of the ground and get the chills when i so much as stick a leg under it.

As for the designer-bubble maker, go for it. There might actually be room for a auto-specific leak detector.
--
Speaking of that, after finding my air leak, i was stuck with a bad suspension and didn't want to drive it, risking the pump's health. So, i experimented with the 3 different brands of Tire-Inflator i had laying around. Two types of this gooey stuff never dried. One dried to a latex rubber skin.. i did various tests...

Convinced it was better than nothing, I squirted some of that into the leaking air spring.. rolled it around and squeezed it like a bellows to evaporate it's solvent... You wouldn't want any liquid to bolw upwards and clog a solenoid or get up into the pump.

After a couple hours I remounted the spring and it actually held air, and I was off to the parts stores.

That spring had a deep cut / scuff mark from deflating against the frame so often, and had to be replaced, but a specifically designed air spring leak-fixer might be worth a shot too.. something that dried quick and didn't rely on evaporating a solvent.. something like a silicone, or maybe a very fluid epoxy.

No.

Speaking of that, after finding my air leak, i was stuck with a bad suspension and didn't want to drive it, risking the pump's health. So, i experimented with the 3 different brands of Tire-Inflator i had laying around. Two types of this gooey stuff never dried. One dried to a latex rubber skin.. i did various tests...

Convinced it was better than nothing, I squirted some of that into the leaking air spring.. rolled it around and squeezed it like a bellows to evaporate it's solvent... You wouldn't want any liquid to bolw upwards and clog a solenoid or get up into the pump.

After a couple hours I remounted the spring and it actually held air, and I was off to the parts stores.

That spring had a deep cut / scuff mark from deflating against the frame so often, and had to be replaced, but a specifically designed air spring leak-fixer might be worth a shot too.. something that dried quick and didn't rely on evaporating a solvent.. something like a silicone, or maybe a very fluid epoxy.

Without going into my normal longwinded tyraid about stock parts and originality, I'll simply say, remove and replace that air spring for safety's sake.

remove and replace that air spring for safety's sake.

absolutely.. the idea of one of those things popping at high speed is as scary a thought as any. I know what the lack of control and squirley suspension feels like when there's no air in one of them on the freeway. To have it happen suddenly would be.. :eek:

My excuse was i needed to drive only a couple city miles to get parts.. the temorary fix worked for that purpose.
---

btw, while shopping for new springs, I called Strutmasters (if i recall) and told the guy about the stop-leak thing i did. He related a story about a customer who tried that green stuff and polluted the rebuilt pump he'd just sold him.

Later in the conversation I asked why his webpage offers the pump minus the schrader valve. He said that the customer we spoke of tried to inject tire-fixer into that valve. So, the idea is to eliminate schrader valves on pumps that he sold and waranteed to protect people from themselves.. and to protect his own money.

As long as you heard it from more than one source, you won't think that I've gone out of my OldSchool mind.

At least not completely.

Great Info!

Just want to say thanks for the DETAILED info! My man, you should be writing tech manuals for a living.:yourock: I feel extremely confident tackling this job:wrench with the ammo that's been provided. Will get back ASAP with the results. One of the most informative threads EVER!:gr_hail:

Just want to say thanks for the DETAILED info! My man, you should be writing tech manuals for a living.

heh.. thanks, but that would be like working.
I hope i don't change your opinion by screwing this up...

I was mystified by this air suspension system, but it's really very simple (except for the controller brain). You said something that i want to be clear about:
More than once after parking the car i actually see the car drop rapidly and hear the air rushing out of the bags. I fire the car back up the bags fill and no more leak.
This behavior may be perfectly normal.

When someone gets out, the car has less weight in it and the car rises. The height sensor sees "trim level too high", the computer opens both the wheel and pump solenoids, and releases some air ...SSSssssss.. until proper trim is established, and then the computer closes the solenoids.
You get in to "fire the car back up" and you've added your weight to the car.. it is now "low" and the system pumps it up to proper trim level.

---
..couple more thoughts about solenoid trouble may save you some grief..
To escape, air in any spring has to pass through two solenoids... one on the spring and the main one inside the pump. If only one misbehaves, no air can escape. Each one clicks pretty loud when it opens and closes, and you can feel it click with a finger. (One caveat: If you've got leaking air tubing somewhere else in the car, air might escape through those breaks, and only the wheel solenoid needs to be faulty/leaking.)

A solenoid can leak silently.. due to bad 0-rings or just a bad interior seal.
A solenoid could also open at the wrong time due to a bad controller in the trunk which opens it at the wrong time.. could be due to a funky height sensor. But you'd certainly hear the clicks when they are energized and click opened.

On my car, I first suspected the height sensor.. or the computer brain.. or the solenoids.. These things are the mysterious electronic parts.. they must be acting up. I mean, there's no way a simple hole in the bag could be at fault.. i'd hear it or see it, right? Wrong.

air spring---solenoid---tubing---dryer---pump/solenoid/open atmosphere.
That is the air pathway, in or out, car goes up or down.

Remove the tubing from the airspring solenoid itself. Spray soapy water all around the solenoid. If you don't see bubbles but the spring deflates anyway, the bag itself must be leaking.

Trim level

Yeah, I'm familiar with the normal operation of the system and what it does when you park. Normally when I exit the car and close the door I would hear a click and a very brief blast of air as the excess is vented. What i'm now experiencing (on occasion) is the complete and rapid deflation of the airbag after shutoff. When I turn the key back to the ON position, the compressor kicks in, reinflates the bag, and it holds. I also have noticed that extremely hot weather seems to keep the bags from wanting to hold any air. The compressor runs until it times out and you're up the creek. Would the heat in some way make a leak worse by changing the rubber in some way or through expansion/contraction of the offending component?:confused: Thanks again.

I also have noticed that extremely hot weather seems to keep the bags from wanting to hold any air. The compressor runs until it times out and you're up the creek. Would the heat in some way make a leak worse by changing the rubber in some way or through expansion/contraction of the offending component?:confused: Thanks again.

far as i know, there is no timer or thermal switch on the pump.
My "Check Suspension" first lit in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic.. And again on a hot day on the freeway... and again in the hot weather on the street where the compressor did freeze up... overheated. I think the piston rings (if it has any) seized. A cool, wet rag got it going again.

The pump is a single piston, very probably oilless.. which means no lubrication other than maybe teflon pads or rings or similar.

Mine was working overtime trying to keep a leaking bag inflated. Sometimes it was capable of it, sometimes not. Heat may certainly have played a part.

In any case, i would find the leak and fix it if i were you because your pump might be on the verge of damaging itself ... if it hasn't already.

My thoughts exactly. New (used) bags on the way. Any Idea where I can get some info on airbag re&re?

i tend to be wordy so i'll keep this short. If you need more info, ask.

Turn off the suspension switch in the trunk. Jack up the front left, remove the wheel. Remove the solenoid wire connector, the air line and solenoid.

The top of the air spring has a plastic locking ring. A little flat spring-lock thing prevents the ring from turning. Push that spring down with a finger and turn the ring clockwise about 20-30 degrees. The edges of that ring can then disengage from the upper control arm plate and the top of the spring is free.
(My "ring" was very tight and wouldn't turn by hand at first because road grit got packed into the seam. I had to tap it a few times with a screwdriver and hammer to get it to move.)

The bottom of the spring has a round plastic nub sticking down through a hole the lower control arm. It is fastened there with a little square metal clip. Get a flat screwdriver under an edge of the clip, twist and pry it off.

The spring is now free.. squeeze it/deflate/compress it a little and remove it from the frame.

Reinstallation is just a reversal of those steps.

one important thing that might or might not be important..

the shape of your installed spring is called the "folded" position. You can see how the bottom of the rubber bag is a "U" shape.. This is the shape it must have before installing it.

well, that spring could be elongated into straight tube.. stretched out straight so there is no folded "U" shape in the rubber.
If you installed such an unfolded spring on the car and put weight on it, you'd destroy the new spring.

An unfolded spring is too flexible to refold. To re-fold an unfolded spring, install the solenoid to prevent air escaping. That trapped air makes it firm. Now you can push straight down on the top of the spring and it will go part way towards re-folding itself properly.
Try to hold everything in place and remove the solenoid with one hand (or have someone else remove it). That allows trapped air to escape and the spring to "fold" completely...

Your new springs will likely be pre-folded so this instruction may not be important.

Back In Business

Picked up a set of used front bags locally for 70 bucks (including solenoids-bonus!) Tried swapping out the one solenoid just for the hell of it and the car still dropped.:rolleyes: Swapped out the bags...low and behold...problem solved. Right as rain. I must say, what a cakewalk it is to work on this system.:L It was unbelievably simple, the only wrench I had to turn was the one to get the lugnuts off.:wrench Good luck swapping out a set of coils in your driveway that easily (and safely). I am a true believer in the air suspension now and forever. Beautifully engineered and a snap to work on. It isn't even a discussion. Put coils in this car...PUH-LEEEASE!:rolleyes: I couldn't have done it without all the great info. Thanks a mil! Airbags forever!!:zgreenbou

snip
I must say, what a cakewalk it is to work on this system. It was unbelievably simple, the only wrench I had to turn was the one to get the lugnuts off. Airbags forever!!:zgreenbou

I felt the same way.. like.. is that all there is to this? Once a leak or other problem is correctly diagnosed, the repair is simple.

Members online

No members online now.
Back