AHAHAHAH! Key won't open the door!

djwhy60

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
WTF! Now this is really drivning me crazy. I opened the door fine first thing this am. Took the car to the store...came out and key would not unlock the damn door.:mad: Had to climb through the trunk! With the horn blaring! I can't for the life of me figure this out. The only thing I have done it the last few days was replace the rear view mirror. Don't think that had anything to do with it. Any ideas?? Thanks ahead of time.

WTF! Now this is really drivning me crazy. I opened the door fine first thing this am. Took the car to the store...came out and key would not unlock the damn door.:mad: Had to climb through the trunk! With the horn blaring! I can't for the life of me figure this out. The only thing I have done it the last few days was replace the rear view mirror. Don't think that had anything to do with it. Any ideas?? Thanks ahead of time.

Video of you climbing into the car through the trunk or it didn't happen? LOL

And no clue. Someone shoot some superglue in your locks overnight or something?

my key does this too at one point... just fiddling with the lock for a while and a little bit of force got it to work again. I don't know why it did it either. Although since I got it to work again it hasn't seized up since which leads me to believe its something along the lines of something getting built up in there. to which I'd think spraying in some brake cleaner and compressed air could help. but i'd wait for more opinions before doing it.

Video of you climbing into the car through the trunk or it didn't happen? LOL

And no clue. Someone shoot some superglue in your locks overnight or something?

LMAO! May be on youtube, there were LOTS of people looking!

Lol I can picture it now! Same thing happened to me somewhat. My drivers door would not unlock for the life of it. I had to climb thru the passenger side and fck with the door handle awhile to get it to open. Hasn't happened since but still I dont know why or what happened.

Lol I can picture it now! Same thing happened to me somewhat. My drivers door would not unlock for the life of it. I had to climb thru the passenger side and fck with the door handle awhile to get it to open. Hasn't happened since but still I dont know why or what happened.

Just as an update....Got home and looked through the shop manuals to get an idea what was going on. Checked the obvious fuses. Nothing. Went inside and "cooled off". Came back out and tried again...DAMN THING HAS NO ISSUES! Opened and closed like new.:mad: Must be those damn LS gremlins!

Just as an update....Got home and looked through the shop manuals to get an idea what was going on. Checked the obvious fuses. Nothing. Went inside and "cooled off". Came back out and tried again...DAMN THING HAS NO ISSUES! Opened and closed like new.:mad: Must be those damn LS gremlins!

Is it the key or the remote that wasn't working? The key wouldn't involve any fuses or anything electrical for the driver's door. (It would if the issue is that it unlocks the driver's door, but the other doors don't unlock.)

Ok I think I k ow what the issue is. This happens to me a couple if times the drivers door handle sometimes dies not want to open the door so I have to press the open button on the remote and hold it for a couple of seconds and the. Open the door from the inside and then it starts working again.if you don't have the remote you can put the key in turn it to the open position and hold it for a couple of seconds this will roll down all your windows and then open it from the inner door handle. I beleave this has been covered here before I think is mostly the inner door handle not hw out door one bit if I can remember correctly they are related. This could be your same issue if I find the thread again then k will let you know and post it here.

Ok I think I k ow what the issue is. This happens to me a couple if times the drivers door handle sometimes dies not want to open the door so I have to press the open button on the remote and hold it for a couple of seconds and the. Open the door from the inside and then it starts working again.if you don't have the remote you can put the key in turn it to the open position and hold it for a couple of seconds this will roll down all your windows and then open it from the inner door handle. I beleave this has been covered here before I think is mostly the inner door handle not hw out door one bit if I can remember correctly they are related. This could be your same issue if I find the thread again then k will let you know and post it here.

Same here....

At this point, I am just used to is happening about once a year(faithfully). I am just careful never to leave it running and shut the door with the window rolled up. LOL.

There is someone here that had both inner latch and outside latch stop working for him. And it was a bitch for him to even get the door open so they can replace the handles.

Happened to me too, but luckily I had the door panel off so I just had to try unlocking the door with a screw driver while messing with the door latch.

Thanks for all the info! My key wouldn't even turn so figured mech not elec. Gonna pull of door panel and check all the stuff inside. Put it on the "to do" list.

If the key won't turn at all, it's almost certainly the lock cylinder itself. I had this problem in my Explorer with a non-OEM key; I'd put it in the lock and couldn't turn it, but if I jiggled it, I could get it to work. I think the key was cut from a worn master, and it just didn't quite line up like it should. I'd suggest taking it to a locksmith and having him take a look at it.

If it's the key itself not working, spray some wd-40 into the keyhole, then slide your key in and out several times. Ford vehicles are bad about having grease in the cylinders that hardens up over time causing the wafers to stick.

That WD-40 will attract fine dust and gum up the lock, use zero residue spray contact cleaner, Mass air sensor cleaner, Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner.

I can assure you the WD-40 is no worse than the grease that's already in there, but you can use silicone spray or whatever else as long as it breaks up that grease.

lmao! my driver door did the same thing to me today.. when I finally got it to unlock with the key then I couldn't get it to lock back haha! An hour later everything was back to normal. think these doors have a mind of there own. I looked like an idiot messing with my door in the parking lot for 20 mins trying to figure it out :) gotta love this car

I can assure you the WD-40 is no worse than the grease that's already in there, but you can use silicone spray or whatever else as long as it breaks up that grease.

WD-40 is more detergent and water displacement chemical than it is a lubricant. You can use it to break things loose and clean them up, but afterwards you need to spray in a proper lubricant.

you need to get lock graphite, that is the only thing other than a key going into a lock.

Members online

No members online now.
Back