Aftermarket Sub Amp, stock Head Unit

Fastbird

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The Fiancee' decided the LS needs a bit more oomph in the low end frequencies.

Has anyone wired in an aftermarket amp for a sub with the stock head unit. I'm working on the assumption that the factory unit doesn't have RCA outputs or a remote lead either, and that you'd have to backprobe to find the switched source for power and do a line level installation for the signal. Am I right, and has anyone done this?

I had my system with the stock HU, but I forget exactly what wires were used. I ended up getting a new HU when the stock 6 disc changer started to mess up, not indash. I'm sure Quik or someone else with the wiring diagrams can help you with this.

i'm planning to do the same thing. i like the stock look. i just need a little more bump. i'm not trying to wake up the neighborhood just have it to my liking. plus banging like that from were i'm from is screaming to get robbed.

you'll need a line out converter, its liek 14.99 or so at best buy, circuit city, you'll splice this into your rear speakers and this will creat your rcas.. you'll then run the ground to the frame, and the power wire to the battery, make sure you throw a fuse in on the power wire.. if you need more info let me know

Yes - I use the stock Alpine head
- upgraded all 4 door speakers
- upgraded the 2 console speakers
- removed the rear shelf with speakers and amp
- added a rear amp with a 1000w
- added two 12" subs in a sealed box

enough thumb to move your hair.

the stock head unit seems just fine.

if you have the factory rear amp - it's easy.

1.Run your power wire directly to the battery then work it through a gromet in the fire wall, under the carpet, to your trunk.oh wait the battery is in the trunk..Make sure you have a fuse about 6 in" from the battery.
2.Run a remote wire either off a fuse, or a power wire in the back of your radio.
3. Drill hole for ground, ground wire shoudl be no longer then a ft.
now for the rcas

THe easiest way for rcas is to get a line out converter,because your stock head unit doesnt have the rcas in the back of the radio you can pick it up at best buy for 14.99 or even meijers..
Get the one without the ground wire, otherwise your going to need a ground loop converter..
Splice them directly into your rear 6x9 speakers, directly in the trunk, the wires are color cordinated, so the install will be easy....

I dont know if the stock alpine head has rcas in the out, someone answer that please.. I would recommend upgrading your head unit if you want better sound quality..

i was looking at my trunk to see how i would make my set up. and i noticed i didnt have any reaer 6x9's. i'll probly put those in along with 1 12" alpine type r. are the missing 6x9's a problem? i'ma have my uncle look at everything. he was the 1 that said run the stock hu. he said he would install everything and make my custom box.

no rear speakers?? push and hold i think its 3 and 6 on the head unit it'll run a speaker diag test...

Woah, information overload. Just a little background, I've installed several stereo's before, so wiring the power leads and all that aren't the problem. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to spaz out a signal splicing in to the rear speaker lines with a line out convertor. Thanks for the help everyone!!!! :Beer

Quik LS, you said that "if you have a factory rear amp -- it's easy" in your post. How did you mean by that? Just that it's a good point to splice in the line out convertor, or what?

I have the Alpine tape head unit with the glove box 6 disc changer, and have the rear deck speakers too. Amp? Yes/no?

that doeasnt work i have a 01 sport. it has 2 rear speakers in the door, 2 in front door, and two under my radio on each side. i dont have anything on the rear shelf. i have the alpine 6 disc in dash.

I used Fosgate Rockford FRC3203 - 3.5" Punch 2-way console speakers

There are mostly used for DSP (digital signal processing) to add 'space' to the sound.

Yes - the sound was improved - especially if you turn the volume way way up.

that doeasnt work i have a 01 sport. it has 2 rear speakers in the door, 2 in front door, and two under my radio on each side. i dont have anything on the rear shelf. i have the alpine 6 disc in dash.

I used the stock HU for my two 12"s with alpine 1000. I had it professionally done *i have installed many stereos but this was a tricky one*. He ran it through the rear deck and it works perfect.. Only thing bad about using stock HU is that your range of bass from loud to soft isn't much of anything compared to an aftermarket HU with the adjustments to control it.

I have the sport package from what I have been told, I am not sure that there are subs or an amp in the rear deck. Somone had mentioned that there is still a harness there for the subs. Is it worth messing with to try to get a signal from that harness to hook up to an aftermarket amp?
Thanks
Eamonn

the sport package does not have the rear amp/subs - and there isno wiring back there for them.

so my options are only down to a line converter? Or a sub amp that has high level imputs?
Eamonn

hockey930 said:
so my options are only down to a line converter? Or a sub amp that has high level imputs?
Eamonn

you can also look at putting a new head unit in... will improve the sound quality too..

A new head unit should be done, however I am broke and in college. I have turbo volvo's that I mess with beyond belif. I am told I can't play with this one too much. Plus for once in my life I would like to have steering wheel controls. Now to find a cheap amp.
Eamonn

WHAT TYPE OF PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING TO SPEND ON AN AMP, AND WHAT TYPE OF SUBS DO YOU PLAN ON RUNNING? i MAY BE ABLE TO POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

You don't need a line out converter if you have the audiophile system. That system already has low level outputs... Infact the low level outputs are already ran to your trunk. Modify the wire harness that your rear deck subs were plugged into...

The RCA will share a common ground... which is not going to do very well for sheilding. Also the DSP will limit your volume on the amp because the crossover is built into your HU

Heres how you would do your job...

yellow/red wire will be your remote wire to amp...

red wire is your hot wire which i don't recommend using for an aftermarket amp its just so small, run a new wire directly from your batter which is already in the trunk so it will be piece of cake. Make sure you keep that wire insolated so that it doesn't short on the stray grounded metal in your trunk.

white/red wire will be the core of the Left RCA, the sheild will be the black wire wrapped in what looks like tape, keep in mind that that will be shared with the right RCA.

grey/red wire will be the right core for your RCA, remember it will share the same sheild as your left wire.

Black wire (not the sheild) will obviously be the ground wire. again i recommend just running a new ground...

Members online

No members online now.
Back