Aftermarket Stereo in LS

04LSSport

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put an aftermarket system in there LS. I still have a complete system from my Truck that I was going to sell but I really miss having MP3 playback. My LS has the Audiophile system with the 12 speakers. It sounds pretty good for stock but I am a bit spoiled. ;)
I would lose the steering wheel controls I guess but thats not a big deal. I am not sure if it would look all that great.

Any suggestions?

Everything will have to be rewired. Speakers being used will have to be replaced due to impeadance differences if you are planning on running an amp on the highs. And the steering wheel controls can still be utilized with a module made by PAC. The module learns the IR code from your aftermarket decks supplied remote (if your model has one that is) and transimits the signal via a small IR LED that goes above the radio in the aftermarket dash kit. When installing my in my 01 LS i had a problem with the mute control activating on its own. Swapped the module, didnt work, called PAC, they had no idea, so i decided the hell with it, i dont need the mute function on the wheel so i disabled it. other than that, volume, search, and media all work. I wouldnt be without it.

:I

04LS, i know its a little late for it, but did you try diode isolating the mute trigger, that interfaces into a few factory systems. Unless it is multiplex then i wouldnt screw with it. Well either way i dont think i would worry.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided not to bother changing the system. I sold the system from my Truck to a buddy. It was a bitch to put it in his Mustang because at first we tried to hook into the factory wiring. We ended up running new wires to all the speakers.

The Stereo in my car sound very good for stock but I wish it had MP3 playback.

04LSSport said:
Has anyone put an aftermarket system in there LS. I still have a complete system from my Truck that I was going to sell but I really miss having MP3 playback. My LS has the Audiophile system with the 12 speakers. It sounds pretty good for stock but I am a bit spoiled. ;)
I would lose the steering wheel controls I guess but thats not a big deal. I am not sure if it would look all that great.

Any suggestions?
What I did:
- upgrade all the speakers
- upgrade the rear amp and subs
- install the PIE connector - The PIE FRDN-AUX Auxiliary Input Converter adds standard RCA jacks to CD2 input on the Alpine head http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piefrdnaux.html - $70
- I then ran a RCA to mini-stereo plug from the PIE (behind the dask) under the center console and up through the storage compartment.

When I want to play MP3 or WMA I just plug my mini-stereo jack into the headphone output of my portable MP3 player and put it in the storage compartment

If you want to replace the head unit - the Alpine uses a standard input for these - should you can by a converter to integrate the steering whell controls into many other units.

Members online

No members online now.
Back