aftermarket speakers head unit and amp installed

StankinLincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ive installed a new pioneer head unit, pioneer 3way 6x8 in the front and pioneer 5way 6x9 in the back. i used a Boss 400 watt amp and monster cable speaker wire. the problem is that i still hear a buzzing sound from my speakers. when i have the key turned back to acc i don't have this problem. but when i turn the key to on or start the car the buzzing sound is there. when i press the brake or use the turn signals it interferes with my speakers by making a little popping sound. the place i took it to to have it re-installed because i thought it was caused by my little knowledge said it was my head unit. so i replaced my head unit. then they said my speakers and i told them well my head unit is only 2 years old and i bought it from you and my speakers have never been played untill they got into your shop. so then they came back and said it was my brand new rca cables. so i bought 2 but they only installed 1. my work order has nothing printed on it so i have no way of showing i paid for 2. that still didnt fix the problem so they said it was my brand new amp. i understand cheap amps aren't the best but i got one that has very low signal noise. could this problem to related to my weak battery. the battery i have is rated lower in cold cranking amps then what i need. i believe the 96 town car requires 850 and mine is 650. or is this something i could solve with one of those scosche noise suppressants. im out of guesses and was wondering if anyone has ran into this before.

where is your ground located? or where is your hot wire comming in from? You could be getting ground noise or feedback or it might be comming in from your alternator. try to relocate the wires or if this doesnt work install a RF capacitor. you can get one of these from auto parts stores, or radio shack.

ive got the ground and power running down one side of the car and the rca cables on the otherside. the ground is attatched to the very back of the trunk where the spare tire goes. there is a metal shield where the back of the sheets are. that is where my amp is mounted also. i kinda understood that crutchfield guide but still iffy. i wouldnt think i would need a capacitor with just 400 watts unless its due to my underpowered battery? but i dont know. im going back to the place again to get them to run another rca cable so both of them match cause one is good and one is cheap. but thats not the prob cause the sound comes from both channels. ill keep troubleshooting with that crutchfield guide. if anyone has anymore input it would be greatly appreciated because ive already spend over 600 dollars on this system and its not even high end.

An RF isnt just for low capacitity, Ive had to install one on a set of after market guages due to too hot of ignition system which was close but not touching the firewall. It will even out any flux in the frequency's (differing rpms) this keeps a consistent flow of electricity

no problem, i hope this helps for ya. but it could just be the ground. never know but its a bitch to tell some times

My installer always recommends installing a ground wire along with the remote turn on lead. Basically, run a second wire from the headunit to amp. Connect it to the ground on the headunit and the ground input on the amp. What this does, is it grounds the amp and headunit at the same ground, this will help to reduce noise associated with bad grounds and also keeps the amp from attempting to pull the ground across the RCA's. It would be an easy test to see if it helps any, just string the wire from the headunit to the amp and test it. If the problems goes away, then it is probably a bad ground. Also, don't ever trust the factory ground for the factory headunit, they've been known to go bad. Wire your own ground for the headunit to the chassis somewhere.

Noise is typically caused by a bad ground, that's the first place to start. After that, it's interference from somewhere else. My bet is on the grounds though.

Also, when grounding your amp, don't use a factory bolt location to ground, always find a good flat surface, preferably the floor of the car. Drill a hole, inspect for wires or hoses first, sand the paint down to the bare metal and then bolt your ground down there. This will give you the best possible ground and may prevent a lot of headaches later.

Members online

No members online now.
Back