Aftermarket head unit questions, post some pictures of yours!

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new head unit in 2-3 months, been out of the aftermarket scene for a while and wondered what solutions you guys have for this car. Have a screen in my f350 platinum which i really don't care about in this car UNLESS i can add a rearview camera to work with it. Otherwise I have no real use for a screen unless you can tell me one. Currently using an FM transmitter in the console that works great but I'm sick of seeing CD error on the factory screen.

I'm an Android guy, mostly stream Sirius XM from my phone but have 60 gig of music on my phone also so Bluetooth is essential. Haven't listened to AM, FM or a CD since like 2008(with exception to the rare tunnel here and there). Have heard some units can mirror your phone screen on their screen which might be nice i guess. I have the fake wood trim in my 2003 v8 if it matters, post some pics of what you have aftermarket, thanks!

...I have the fake wood trim in my 2003 v8 if it matters, post some pics of what you have aftermarket, thanks!
It's actually real wood, unless you swapped out the factory trim.

It's actually real wood, unless you swapped out the factory trim.
Really? It's cracked in a couple places and looks plastic, if it's real maybe i can replace it. I do woodworking so i could likely replicate the pieces. I'll have to look closer, i swear it looks plastic but maybe it's just the clear coat, thanks for the info!

Yeah, it does look plastic, but Ford claims that it is real wood. My current car has real wood that is very clearly real wood (not shiny at all, and fairly thick).

Anyway, you can add a factory look rear view camera.
1631887558775.png
1631887634665.png

Car Rover, but it may be no longer available. Knragho looks similar.

I guess something like this is probably what i want, if no one has any recommendations maybe I'll just pick one and try it. Figured someone here would've done it already and had some tips.

Amazon product ASIN B093BJ42Q8

The aftermarket head units are pretty nice, I use a Kenwood in my subaru and a pioneer in the LS. The app "Android Auto" or Apple Carplay use the USB interface to your phone and can then run apps off the phone's network connection. It is pretty awesome and affordable. My Waze navigation app runs on the whole screen, and if I am on the phone or playing Spotify or Pandora music, those apps (and many others) can either be in the main screen or as a small taskbar at the bottom, so you would get a map up top and one line at the bottom for what music service you are using, or the phone, etc. At any time, you can switch things up and make the music and the album art and song info on the main screen and the navigation can be in the bottom one line of info. Not positive, but the apps also support satellite radio. It is really quite a nice setup for about $400 for a decent radio, with all expansion capabilities you would want, like fully set up for amps, camera, and very customizable. It also runs google maps as well as Waze, has news apps, weather apps and more. Seems like maybe satellite radio is not included, but these head units also come with stereo AUX in ports so you can use your phone's satellite apps to send music to the head unit in AUX mode. 23 Most Useful Apps Compatible with Android Auto

One of the other cool things is that it is voice based. You just need to speak "OK Google" and the radio stops and listens to what you are going to ask for. You can say, "Call Jennifer" or "Text Marie" and it will comply, no touch required. It prompts you for "Ok, what's the message?" then it listens for your message. Once you have spoken, it reads it back to you (also types out on the lower screen while you are talking) and asks if it is ok to send, change or cancel. At the same time your phone is connected to this, it is also capable of fast charging or regular charging of your phone as well. Well worth the $400 (the sky is the limit, you can also spend thousands on a setup) that I paid for mine. The kicker is that the deal was free installation when I bought my Kenwood at Best Buy, which is something I never thought I would do, but for free, an expert does a very efficient job and I had no reason to turn down that offer! Bought the radio at 11:30 AM and had the car back in hand in 2 hours all set to go.

Which one do you like better Kenwood or pioneer or are they about the same? And what model? Yeah I was expecting to pay about 800 bucks for one of these, that's about what they're were years ago when last i looked, I was pretty surprised to see them for under $200 on Amazon, probably under $200 for a reason though, ha

Do any of them mirror the phone screen wirelessly do you know? I guess camera integration, Bluetooth and subs\speakers in the future are my main feature wants. Thanks.

I went with a Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S - paid $409 for it on eBay a couple of years ago. I used the "Metra 70-5521 Radio Wiring Harness for Ford 03-Up Amp" and "Metra 95-500S double DIN Installation Kit for 2000-2006 Lincoln LS" to mount up the head unit.

Looking to get a new head unit in 2-3 months, been out of the aftermarket scene for a while and wondered what solutions you guys have for this car. Have a screen in my f350 platinum which i really don't care about in this car UNLESS i can add a rearview camera to work with it. Otherwise I have no real use for a screen unless you can tell me one. Currently using an FM transmitter in the console that works great but I'm sick of seeing CD error on the factory screen.

I'm an Android guy, mostly stream Sirius XM from my phone but have 60 gig of music on my phone also so Bluetooth is essential. Haven't listened to AM, FM or a CD since like 2008(with exception to the rare tunnel here and there). Have heard some units can mirror your phone screen on their screen which might be nice i guess. I have the fake wood trim in my 2003 v8 if it matters, post some pics of what you have aftermarket, thanks!
I have an 2005 Lincoln LS. I use an Android 9" that I had purchased from Amazon. For my model a aftermarket harness is not available so I had to do all the wiring myself. It's a real nice fit. Also seeing that I have mobile broadband I can stream from virtually anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.
Back