After nearly a decade, it's time for some maintenance on my 01' 5 speed

Mechanicboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys finding quality parts these days?

For the first time in nearly a decade(ok, 8 years) I'm going to pull the intake off my 2001 V6 manual trans LS. I'm doing it because I had a coil fail on the drivers side last year(must be a record for time on a set of coils!) and can now feel one starting to go out on the passenger side. I noticed oil starting to build up around the plugs so I'm going to do the valve covers and spark plugs while I'm in there. Maybe the PCV elbo too. I'm also going to pull the radiator to blow everything out and replace the thermostat while I'm in there. Then I'll do a drain and fill on the power steering and hydro fan too like when I first bought it.

Heat stopped coming out of the vents recently but I think rats may have chewed a wire as I found their droppings on the valve cover. I'm also replacing the sway bar bushings as they have been making noise for a while.

Did anyone ever find a fix for the rear seal on the manual transmission seeping? It would be nice to fix that. Goes through less than 1/2 quart fluid every 7,500miles but still.

Lastly, I heard my drivers side window make a cracking sound the last time I rolled her up, probably will need some parts there too :(

Thanks for any help you give!

Where are you guys finding quality parts these days?

FordPartsGiant
Tasca

...Heat stopped coming out of the vents recently but I think rats may have chewed a wire as I found their droppings on the valve cover. ...

An open circuit will can cause full heat all the time, it's can't prevent heat.

...I heard my drivers side window make a cracking sound the last time I rolled her up, probably will need some parts there too :(

Thanks for any help you give!

You may only need this: www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2X9ZB0/?coliid=I149QBJWF00K3G&colid=1O8V1F5VGF8TU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

51ik2zlW-7L.jpg

Where is your gearbox leaking from? I am having an issue too. I did replace a seal about a year ago where the shift rod goes into the gearbox but I have not gotten under the car lately to see where this leak is coming from now.

Where is your gearbox leaking from? I am having an issue too. I did replace a seal about a year ago where the shift rod goes into the gearbox but I have not gotten under the car lately to see where this leak is coming from now.
Epidemic. My getrag is also dripping a bit. It looks tobe coming from the output seal as there's a bit of fresh oil can be seen on the shaft. Thing is I had the trans on the bench a year or so ago and replaced this seal. Wish I hadn't - old one didn't leak.

Mine looked like a driveshaft/output shaft seal, but it was really the shift selector rod seal. I changed that output shaft seal maybe 4 times before realizing that it was the shift rod. The way that leaks out, it lands on the spinning shaft and gives you the impression that it is the shaft seal, since the driveshaft yoke spins the oil tangentially, totally incriminating the innocent output shaft seal. I even used the reddi sleeve on the output shaft, to no avail. Here is the link to the new seal for the shift selector shaft: 23121228443 Standard Transmission Shift Linkage Seal - Elring 327.298 (23-12-1-228-443)

Mine looked like a driveshaft/output shaft seal, but it was really the shift selector rod seal. I changed that output shaft seal maybe 4 times before realizing that it was the shift rod. The way that leaks out, it lands on the spinning shaft and gives you the impression that it is the shaft seal, since the driveshaft yoke spins the oil tangentially, totally incriminating the innocent output shaft seal. I even used the reddi sleeve on the output shaft, to no avail. Here is the link to the new seal for the shift selector shaft: 23121228443 Standard Transmission Shift Linkage Seal - Elring 327.298 (23-12-1-228-443)
Thanks much. I will look into this right away and order the part.

Mine has done the same thing. The seal he is talking about is right above the output shaft.
Yes, I can see it. Going to try to replace it by removing the minimum of ancillary stuff.

Thanks, Mikey. Yeah that aint the one I got. So gotta get with Bavaria. Been too cold and rainy to work on it. It's been on stands for couple or three weeks. There is also an oil leak right in the same area. :( Thanks as always.
George

Here is the photo of that seal. It really is small. View attachment 828571582
Hey Mikey, man this is aggravating. I ordered and got a part. I'm not sure it's correct. It looks similar to yours but the numbers on box are different. Yours is 327.298 this one is 327.299 There must be 100 of these things. Below is a pic of what I got.
I went to fcpeuro - they dont even list an s-type with a manual trans. I went to terrys jaguar and they have some manual parts but not this one. I''ll finally call local ford dealer on Monday but they usually throw their hands up.

Last edited:
Hey George, that is the correct part. The measurements are identical, as stamped on the box. 15 mm id, 21 mm od and 5/7 thick. Good luck with the repair.. Should be a major blast. Again, expose just the selector shaft and slide the new seal against the old one and drive it in. The old seal will move forward and the new seal should end up where the old seal started from.

Hey George, that is the correct part. The measurements are identical, as stamped on the box. 15 mm id, 21 mm od and 5/7 thick. Good luck with the repair.. Should be a major blast. Again, expose just the selector shaft and slide the new seal against the old one and drive it in. The old seal will move forward and the new seal should end up where the old seal started from.
Yeah I hope so. Finally had time to get under there on Saturday. Exposed the half shaft coupling. Cannot loosen it with tools I have. Going to have to drop the whole exhaust system. Oh well.

A little update after 2k miles or driving:

Coils fixed the misfire, runs like a too!

The car starts to get warm if I sit in traffic long enough. The fan is pulling air through the radiator but doesn't kick to high speed, I'm guessing this is the famous hydraulic fan issue I read about years ago but never had a problem with.

A/C is starting to make a hissing noise again(regardless of vehicle and engine speed). This will be the second time adding some 134a in 10 years. Just a super slow leak not worth fixing(yet).

Still doesn't have any heat to the vents, having looked into it.

Glad I came back to this thread, I will be ordering that deal and replacing it soon. Tired of that leak and topping the trans off at each oil change!

I ended up needing an entire window regulator put it in, works perfect.

Just rotated the tires and have them balanced. Almost perfect they said!

Members online

No members online now.
Back