Advantages/Disadvantages of Muffler Delete.

Carlos B

LVC Member
Reaction score
I believe I am ready for my first modification. I am thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 02 LS V8, and was wondering if anyone had it done before. What are the pros/cons of the delete? I want my LS as loud as possible. Muffler shop says they'll charge $90. $45 for each muffler.

Plenty of threads on this topic, please search.

Rig's setup is replacing everything from essentially the car's middle connection back. The OP is requesting delete info. Two different setups. I have done just the delete, albeit on a gen2. My youtube channel has a LOT of media, so that may give you an idea of how the $90 route sounds vs the more expensive route. Rig's does sound better (from the videos) but like many things, this is PURELy subjective. The delete might be exactly what the OP is looking for.

Any video of my LS here, is with only the two rears deleted.
Devin Barnas

Pro's of a rear muffler delete:
1) Cost effective, I paid about the same to have mine removed by a shop ($100) but that included tips too
2) Sounds aggressive. Great idle, great low throttle, and a nice tone overall. Bit raspy at WOT. I get a TON of compliments from people i would never expect too.
3) Lighter than replacing with another unit.
4) Slap it in SSt mode and slow down in any gear off throttle, never gets old. (pops and gargles all day)

Con's:
1) certain idle/revs/decels lack refinement that would otherwise be there with a proper exhaust setup.
2) You are still stuck with the stock resonators, squiggly piping, and H-pipe.
3) Highway drone around 2700-3000. Tolerable, but still a little less refined.
4) If you are a non-lse gen1, then you will most likely have to run turn downs, or cut areas in your bumper to run tips. The stock setup does not exit through the bumper on a gen1. Having the tips turn towards the ground will increase low tones, and drone - as opposed to exiting straight out the back.

I was aware he is requesting delete information. I was suggesting the one-in-the tunnel as running around town with no mufflers will yield tickets from the Po-Po.

muffler delete

Pros: it will be louder when you want it to be.

Cons: it will be louder when you don't want it to be.

even with the Magnaflow setup rig suggested, the constant drone at Hwy speed does bother me a little (no I will also say that it is 10x better with the Magnaflow vs the Flowmaster delta 40s I had on previous)

however, down shifting and engine braking is down right more additive than heroine!

to be honest, if you really want the car loud, I'd consider doing cutouts. that way iot can be balls out loud when you want it to, but you also have the option of going ninja if/when needed.

Last edited:
apparently I'm just getting old! haha

and I guess its not the drone itself that bothers me, but the very narrow power band where that drone lives is right at 60mph where I happen to do 90% of my cruising.

and in all honestly, would probably be perfect if I still had cats. the lack of cats probably made the biggest difference in the droning.

Members online

No members online now.
Back