Advancetrac?

aaronearles

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what are the signs that an LS has the advancetrac system? I always figured that because I never saw the word anywhere and that it wasn't advertised, I didn't have it on my 03V8. However, tonight I did a little playing in the snow and it finally hit me, that I cannot lose control of this car even on really slick snow covered parking lots, unless I REALLY try, I mean whichever way the wheel is pointed, the car moves that way, if I tap the brakes during a "drift" the car straightens right out, traction control off the whole time. Of course if I really throw it hard it will spin out, but I was surprised. Also, it felt like the brakes may have been working during my slides, but that may have just been tire friction with the pavement below. Thanks!

there should be a button behind your shifter that has a pic of a car and squiggly lines...that will be the advance trac....push that buttin...

Mine is the picture of the wheel spinning, which I realize indicates traction control which, as stated, was turned off. I was curious if the difference in the picture (skidding car vs spinning wheel) on the button was also the difference on a second generation LS.

No, The wheel symbol means you do not have Advancetrac. You only have traction control.

a simple way to tell would be to press your traction button and read the fuel economy display on the dashboard. If you have advancetrac (not sure if all 03's do) it will say "advancetrac on"... or off. the on/off button shows a tire with an "S" shaped path. otherwise the display just says traction or something. regular traction control simply applies brakes to the rear to keep the wheels from spinning faster than the front. the on/off button shows a wheel burning out i think. i think it may cut engine power too.

advancetrac cuts engine power as well when needed, but also measures steering input along with individual wheel speeds, applying the brakes to any of the wheel(s) that need it to keep the car going where you want. when the feature is actually active, a yellow light flashes in the dead center up high on your dashboard- the same "S" shaped tire logo as your on/off button.

i'm confused by the comment "if I tap the brakes during a "drift" the car straightens right out, traction control off the whole time." when you turn advancetrac off, none of those features will work. ABS will however which lets you steer your car while aggressively cornering/braking. by aggressive, i mean at the level of traction loss (which obviously occurs sooner in the snow). i think you may simply be slowing down enough to regain traction.

the bottom line is an open rearend sucks in the snow and if you try to go up a hill from a stop, you will almost always need to turn whichever feature you have off and "burn" your way up the hill, making sure you dont let it get too tail happy. snow tires help a lot too. otherwise the system is very nice and it saved me twice from sliding on black ice- i was already commited to a corner. fortunatley i was going pretty slow due to the conditions- its not a miracle worker.

i prefer to have it off if driving more aggressively in normal dry conditions.

You were right, the difference on the 03 is also the difference in picture on that button, I guess I just have to appreciate my new tires more. Owners manual ftw once again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back