Additional parts for COP repairs.

JES_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well the COP's are getting worse, so I Know that I will have to replace them in the near future.
The car is a 2002 V6 LS Sport
What parts besides the COP's, new plus, the inner and outer valve cover gaskets, will I need to replace?

I remember someone saying the pcv hoses and the pcv, but for the life of me cannot remember which engine they were talking about.

also do I need to get new intake gaskets or do I just have to be careful with the originals.

Is there anything else that I'm missing out on.

I'm gonna get the BS flag flown on me for this one, but I don't care because it has been working for almost a month and its quick, simple, and cheap. Here's what I did when I noticed my VC gaskets were leaking when I changed my spark plugs

I pulled the coils out and cleaned the the spark plug holes out with rubbing alcohol (paying close attention to were the VC met the head)

I took the tip from a tube of silicon (the end you can cut to make a larger bead) and put some automotive goop (a awsome sealent, heard of it for the first time on this forum and have been hooked, but it doesn't come with a tip to vary the size of the silcone bead) on it.

I then applied the goop in the hole were the VC meets the head and let it dry

All this procedure involves is removing the coil cover and the coils. I thought it was BS too, but a mechanic friend said this is how they fix oil pan gaskets sometimes when the leak wasn't bad. I checked out my coils after a week and they were bone dry and so was the spark plug and spark plug hole. I rechecked this weeked (3 weeks later) and still dry. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but for $5 worth of materials and about 1/2 hour of time (not including drying time). I waited about an hour before reassembling and then let the car sit another hour before I drove it. Goop recommended 24 hours for sealing but the bead felt very dry after an hour. I think its worth a try. Unless there is a possiblity of it causing damage.

i don't blame you. i thought of that myself but didn't feel like pulling everything apart more than once.

Members online

No members online now.
Back