accel ignition coils?

revolutionaryconcepts

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Whats the part # for the accel coils everyone is using for the v8. One im getting a set because at 38k mine are starting to go finally lol and secondly so I can start fabing the new coil covers, and to those of you who have been waiting very patiently I am glad to tell you that the intake system will be available by mid next month

Accel coils

Thats GREAT news, for both of them!!!! I am very anxious to get them installed!!!!!!!!! E-mail me with the details.
Shane

Words from the original Accel coil maverick:
For anyone looking into doing this mod, I wouldnt bother. I ran these coils for about 2 months and had intermittent misfires and just ditched them. I put 8 new stock coils in and all is back to normal now. Either the car doesnt like the coils or they are just junk. I put this in another thread a while back but I see people are still interested in doing this mod. Stay away!!

The Accel thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=41543&page=3&highlight=Accel

well im sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the accel coils, maybe I should try and find another source for a high output ignition, and yes I was refering to the coil covers that allow for aftermarket coils and the intake I was talking about is of my own design, however I cant really talk about it because I refuse to pay lvc $2k to advertise lol so pm me if your interested

I would stay away from the Accell coils. I ran a set for a couple of months. Had two go bad within the first week. Replaced under warranty and then had three more go bad including one of the replaced ones. Even with a full functioning set the car just didn't seem to like them. Hesitation, random spits and misfires. Factory replacement coils weren't much better. I'm currently running Autozone coils. No problems except they do not have any warranty. Not sure how you can sell a product without a warranty at a major retailer but they've been good so far. I have had very good luck with MSD products over the years. Someone drop the $400-$500 for a set and let us know!

well im sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the accel coils
Don't apologize to me, I'm not the one who said it. :p I was thinking about it until I read that thread again and heard about the troubles with them, so I figured Id be best off to just stay with the Motorcraft, and Duralast coils that I've got now. MSD might be a better option, but I haven't had any trouble with mine in quite a while (i probably just jinxed myself), so I'm not too interested in an upgrade at the moment.

Granatelli motorsports has a 60,000 volt application for the mustang, don't know if they are worth the 500 bones though? check jegs

Jegs makes there own and are cheap, don't know the quality. Accels are next cheapest and sounds like they are junk. Few bucks for Summit brand. MSDs would be my choice.

90k on my original stocker so far so good, I'll cross that bridge when I need too.

aftermarket coils seem to have about the same survive/fail rate as the average coils. in a modern engine you won't necessarily see a huge gain with the better coils, like i did when i did cap/coil/rotor/plug upgrade on my 88 camaro.... but every bit helps and it shouldn't hurt.

ya there's really no reason to upgrade to a higher output coil set without a heavily modified engine, however if the primary current draw is lower than the factory coil set you'll see free'd up hp and fuel economy due to the reduced drag on the charging system, but hell like he said every little bit helps, especally on engines like these that are really sensitive to EVERYTHING lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back