ac problems

frankmckeehan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
1989 fleetwood, 4.5 v8, fwd. my ac continues to stop working. i,ve replaced the compressor 3 times ending up with an ac delco. i've replaced all the hoses and tubes. i've had a sniff test done. 8 times i've had my car in the shop and each time the ac works for 3 or 4 days and quits. its looseing freeon and dripping compressor oil, i,m at my wits end and don't know what to do now. has anyone had this problem or know what may be going wrong. i've just about rebuilt the whole ac system costing me $1700.00. help

Dripping A/C oil from where?

Have you replaced the evaporator? Did you ever put flurocent dye in the compressor oil?

After I put flurocent dye in the oil - i've solved 100% of the problems...

(You use a black light to see where the oil is comming out from. Where the new dye is at = your leak)

to person with a loss of 3 a/c compressors

YOU MAY WANT TO LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY. I AM A REFRIGERATION MECHANIC and have a 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood.

Your orfice tube(expansion device that has the screen wrapped around a plastic pencil like device). This feeds the refrigerant (FREON) to the evaperator and then it goes to the accumulator and then to the compressor. This device will slip out of place and let RAW refrigerant get back to the compressor and knock the hell out of the suction valves. I have placed my orfice tube as far foreward as I could push it( about 3" past the two O' rings) and put a tube constrictor on my tube cutter and grooved it enough so that the orfice tube will not slip backwards. Once it slips out of place you will loose the efficiency of your suction valves on your compressor.

Regards

Members online

No members online now.
Back