AC Leak down

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After replacing the compressor and manifold last summer ( and then holding a charge for a couple months?) the system now has leaked AGAIN and after returning to Ford , the mechanic tells me it is now leaking at the evaporator tubing that runs under the front of the car ( I thought that was the condenser ) anyway if it isnt one damn thing its three. How much of a PITA is it to replace the manifold / tubing that he is referring to and while I'm here , how much trouble to replace the COMPRESSOR manifold assy as well ( he tells me THAT new part that he installed last summer is ALSO leaking at a crimp ) verified by the service writer? I'm going to look at all this in the AM.

Evaporator manifold? Compressor manifold? 2 different things and BOTH leak?

Help or suggestions appreciated ( I may just swap these myself and have them charge and dye check ) if I'm in the mood and its not a huge PITA )

Thanks

The condenser is the thing that is in front of the radiator. The assemblies are different for different years and different engines. Since you don't say what you have, I'll just pick something, 2006 V8.
There's Tube Assy, A/C Condenser 6W4Z-19835-A at $110. This is the compressor manifold and hoses, not the actual condenser.
There's Tube Assy, A/C Condenser 6W4Z-19D734-B at $180. This is the top manifold and hoses.
There's Liquid Line 3W4Z-19835C-A at $80. This is the evaporator manifold and hoses.
You will also need a new receiver/dryer, 6W4Z-19959-A at $66.

You will have to verify how much oil is left in the rest of the system, and then add to reach the correct amount. You will have to pull a high vacuum on the system for at least a half hour to boil the water out. Then add the correct amount of R-134a. Note that most PAG oil that you buy will already have dye in it. You do not want to add the dye in the pressurized cans. (You're just adding stuff that isn't refrigerant and reducing the performance of the system.)

Sorry Joe.........its a 2000 LS V8 ( 3.9 ) He ( service writer ) tells me its the evaporator manifold thats leaking........as well as the compresser manifold..............
The compressor and manifold that bolts to it , as well as the filter dryer have already been replaced last summer............NOW he is saying some line inder the front , above the plastic cover under car , is leaking ( manifold ) and since thats right under the condenser , why he refers to it as the evaporator manifold I have no idea.

PITA?

Members online

Back