Ac compressor (video)

ok so ive found the leak, its seems to be coming from one of the hoses that attach to the compressor, the black oil is left over when the refrigerant and oil seep out, the refrigerant evaporates and leaves the sticky oil . i just want to say, i never did any AC work to this car, ive had it 4 years, ac always worked, could i just be low on oil or refrigerant? im going to check more on the leak, thanks

ok i got the serp. belt off, just play with the pulley, sh1t sounds horrible, when i rotate it, constant grind, not the same on the other pulleys, im just going to replace the whole unit to be safe, especially because the new ac compressor come with the clutch together

ok took new video, both videos are the same, dont know why it keeps posting twice, sorry

YouTube- AC Compressor Pulley.MOV

someone let me know what my next plan of action should be, depressurize the system in order to take the ac compressor off? thanks

im wondering if i could just take the pulley off and install a new one if the compressor is still good, i know it leaked some oil so could this be the hub o ring?

lol, did yours make a noise, my is a gen 1, and it says the date on the compressor 19990ct25, MY AC COMPRESSOR IS VINTAGE!! lmao

what do you get from disconnecting the clutch, no constant noise, so did you take the pulley off, and take out the clutch and put the pulley back on? i got a decent amount of black sticky resin in that area, but i cant find the leak as of yet, im going to take pics now, thanks

No, mine works fine I just don't like the A/C pump running in the winter so i disconnected it.

I watched you video(s) and it doesn't sound like the pump is bad just the clutch/bearings. You aren't spinning the A/C pump, only the pulley.

My question for you is how does the sound change with the engine running with the a/c on compared to it off with the engine running both ways?

That black stuff might be the hose, not the pump going bad.

No, mine works fine I just don't like the A/C pump running in the winter so i disconnected it.

I watched you video(s) and it doesn't sound like the pump is bad just the clutch/bearings. You aren't spinning the A/C pump, only the pulley.

My question for you is how does the sound change with the engine running with the a/c on compared to it off with the engine running both ways?

That black stuff might be the hose, not the pump going bad.

the sound is almost the same, ac on or off, sometimes theres a louder rattle when it runs for a few minutes, but the noise is bad before i turn the ac on, and is about the same when i turn the ac on, i would easily replace the compressor, but i just am not that experienced with the evacuating the system, so im just taking advice and trying to tackle this thanks

the sound is almost the same, ac on or off, sometimes theres a louder rattle when it runs for a few minutes, but the noise is bad before i turn the ac on, and is about the same when i turn the ac on, i would easily replace the compressor, but i just am not that experienced with the evacuating the system, so im just taking advice and trying to tackle this thanks

It could just be the clutch, but most likely it isn't. Here's what might have happened.

1. A small leak developed. Unfortunately, it was at a spot where more oil than R-134 would come out.
2. Most of the oil leaked out.
3. The compressor became damaged due to lack of lubrication.
4. The force required to turn the compressor increased due to the damage.
5. The clutch is now damaged due to the extra force required to turn the compressor.
6. Little bits of metal from the damaged compressor are now circulating in the AC system.

Notice that I did say "might."

It could just be the clutch, but most likely it isn't. Here's what might have happened.

1. A small leak developed. Unfortunately, it was at a spot where more oil than R-134 would come out.
2. Most of the oil leaked out.
3. The compressor became damaged due to lack of lubrication.
4. The force required to turn the compressor increased due to the damage.
5. The clutch is now damaged due to the extra force required to turn the compressor.
6. Little bits of metal from the damaged compressor are now circulating in the AC system.

Notice that I did say "might."

thank you, i agree, it sounds like there may be no oil to lubricate, or the clutch grinded down fpr whatever reason and the bearing on the inside are toast.

could i get a junkyard compressor and take the clutch and pulley off and replace the one i have now and see if the noise dissapears, without having to vacuum the pressure and system? i know i need to rent a few tools to get the pulley and clutch out, but from there it would be something internal if its not just the clutch and pulley, which could be cheapest to try considering i can get j/y ac compressors for 50 bucks, just to try the different clutch and pulley, but i know its very complicated so it may be best to replace the whole unit, just more money then work

thank you, i agree, it sounds like there may be no oil to lubricate, or the clutch grinded down fpr whatever reason and the bearing on the inside are toast.

could i get a junkyard compressor and take the clutch and pulley off and replace the one i have now and see if the noise dissapears, without having to vacuum the pressure and system? i know i need to rent a few tools to get the pulley and clutch out, but from there it would be something internal if its not just the clutch and pulley, which could be cheapest to try considering i can get j/y ac compressors for 50 bucks, just to try the different clutch and pulley, but i know its very complicated so it may be best to replace the whole unit, just more money then work

Here's my opinion, others may disagree.

Junkyard compressors have been open to the air and the moisture in it for who knows how long. Most of them are probably toast.

If you don't flush the system, you are probably going to kill the replacement compressor in a short period (months) of time.

If you don't pull a vacuum on the system, you will kill everything in an even shorter period of time.

If you open the system now and don't flush and vacuum it within a few days, when you do get around to it, you will have to replace everything.

Air-conditioning may be optional where you live, but it's required where I live.

Here's my opinion, others may disagree.

Junkyard compressors have been open to the air and the moisture in it for who knows how long. Most of them are probably toast.

If you don't flush the system, you are probably going to kill the replacement compressor in a short period (months) of time.

If you don't pull a vacuum on the system, you will kill everything in an even shorter period of time.

If you open the system now and don't flush and vacuum it within a few days, when you do get around to it, you will have to replace everything.

Air-conditioning may be optional where you live, but it's required where I live.

ok, thanks, so im better off ordering a new one, then making sure the system has been flushed, and vacuumed, also not to open the system until im ready to replace

ac is somewhat optional for me, i love the sunroof and open windows, but i do enjoy the ac in the middle of summer, so i guess im just going to sleep on it tonight, since its like mix rain/snow right now :(

Seems like the clutch to me. The compressor might be fine.

i agree, but the compressor aint good now, lol i took a hammer and wanted to get the clutch off, no luck just a banged up compressor now, im going to go new anyways but i just wanted to study the compressor, theres a few balls missing to the ball bearing, i can see them rolling around freely, its a old compressor from 99, doesnt seem to have ruined the whole system though

Keep you hose ends pluged so you don't contaminate the system then you might be replacing the dryer or worse the expansion valve.

Keep you hose ends pluged so you don't contaminate the system then you might be replacing the dryer or worse the expansion valve.

thanks yeah man i hear that, i pluged them, should have it replaced tomorrow, i dont believe in a open system but when i realized there was no pressure i figured i may have a leak somewhere and it wont matter if i take the hose off, hoping within the next few days i should have some nice ice cold ac:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back