ABS & Traction Light

clintjw95

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For the past week my ABS and Traction Control light keep coming on spontaneously:shifty: . Could this be a bad connection? Any help would be appreciated.

Probably a wheel sensor. When ABS goes it takes traction with it because they are the same system. I am pretty sure you can get a code ro something to tell you which one is an error. Typically just cleaning them helps since a lot of rust can build around the magnetic sensor.

The codes a scanner throws at you, at least on my 96, don't really narrow the abs problem down. The ABS connector on mine is behind the passenger headlight. It recommends you hook up a special abs tool and there are a few tests you run from there to narrow down the problem. If cleaning or replacing the sensors doesn't help, you may want to take it somewhere that can diagnose the abs. As for me, I just drive without ABS for now.

For your '95, a $19 Actron OBD1 code scanner should work just fine. Hook it up to the ABS port behind the passenger headlight, and put the switch in the TEST position.

Get in the car, and turn the key to the RUN position. Count the flashes of the ABS light, just as you would count the flashes of the check engine light if you were scanning ECC codes.

I agree that it'll probably end up being just a dirty/damaged wheel sensor.

Members online

Back