ABS Sensor

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my lower ball joint due to it 21 years old. But upon removal I had to use a cutting tool, and a sledge hammer. During all this, I fear I damaged the ABS sensor - because my ABS is light is on. Now..do I have to actually replace that ABS sensor to make the light go away? Or is there a way around this? Thanks y'all!

You could pull the light bulb

Long, late reply;
Well, currently it's got electrical tape covering it - because it's damn bright. But the only thing I'm worried about is - being in Minnesota, rumor has it this winter is going to be heavy. And since this is my only car (waa going to buy an old Navigator, but got fired before I could for "not showing up for a shift" I wasn't scheduled for?) I would prefer my ABS is working, and my trac. control is available. Never driven in winter - only been driving, legally, for a little over a year now. So I don't want to go sliding into the lifted F-250 in front of me - I'm going to need as much help as I can get. But - point is; ABS sensor light is on, and needs to be fixed.

Any tips for driving my precious Mark VIII in the snow? Because that's about as good of an idea as unicycling up a mountain.

Blizzaks are the key
My last winter mark viii didn't have abs but with blizzaks it's no problem.
Also if you have a garage it lives in wash it alot.

Blizzaks are the key
My last winter mark viii didn't have abs but with blizzaks it's no problem.
Also if you have a garage it lives in wash it alot.

I have some Falken track day tires right now, I'll get them switched over. And I don't sadly, it'll be outside in the snow all winter. Which won't exactly be good on it, but I'll be throwing around $10k-$15k at ot this coming summer. But what I fear the most is my brakes locking up, then sliding into a car in front of me. Or having no traction and being hit.

no abs in snow is probably a little better at stopping, while abs is a bit better for maintaining "control" in the snow.
if you go slow, and dont brake and turn at the same time, abs is just an optional extra.
if you start to slide, lift and re apply, and threshold brake.

I tried the abs system on my 95, and I'm a believer. Best thing I did was to put all 4 Blizzaks on. Car handles better than my 1 ton 4X4. Make sure your sensors, and sprockets are clean, and lined up. I had a sensor get full of grease, and wouldn't work. If all is good, sounds like you need a sensor. If you have a 95, there available Check the wire, and that it's still plugged in.

Last edited:
I tried the abs system on my 95, and I'm a believer. Best thing I did was to put all 4 Blizzaks on. Car handles better than my 1 ton 4X4. Make sure your sensors, and sprockets are clean, and lined up. I had a sensor get full of grease, and wouldn't work. If all is good, sounds like you need a sensor. If you have a 95, there available Check the wire, and that it's still plugged in.

That applies to me spot on. I did grease up every bushing I could find when I replaced my ball joint, and did take off the ABS sensor - so maybe I didn't put it back right.

I overgreased, and wheel bearing going bad, got hot and baked the grease on. Had to scrape it with a razor blade, and clean it. metered same as a new one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back