Abs module

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Seems my abs module may be out, it stops sending signals though but will for a little while if you tap on it, then stops again. My battery is low though, hear lots of issues with low voltage batteries but I'll never get that lucky with this lemon i bought, my $1000 car is fast approaching a $6000 car, fun times, lol! My autozone crap battery is less than a year old, let it sit for 3 months but i unhooked it, never buying those shit batteries ever again. On my 3rd warranty set in my f350, total garbage quality.

Seems my abs module may be out, it stops sending signals though but will for a little while if you tap on it, then stops again. My battery is low though, hear lots of issues with low voltage batteries but I'll never get that lucky with this lemon i bought, my $1000 car is fast approaching a $6000 car, fun times, lol! My autozone crap battery is less than a year old, let it sit for 3 months but i unhooked it, never buying those shit batteries ever again. On my 3rd warranty set in my f350, total garbage quality.
I would start with a new battery of course and see if it makes any difference

There are just a few ABS modules for the LS. IIRC it is located in the rear under the car. Similar to the PCM... if you find one with numbers that match yours... it should be "plug and play" (with no programming).

Batteries have 12.6 volts when fully charged... 2.1 volts per cell. If your battery has 10.1 volts... it has a bad cell.

My autozone crap battery is less than a year old, let it sit for 3 months but i unhooked it, never buying those shit batteries ever again. On my 3rd warranty set in my f350, total garbage quality.

Another case for OEM parts. My last LS Motorcraft battery lasted 9 years.

Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls (USA or Mexico) and is a U.S. owned and operated company... and are the best.

Exide (the other major manufacturer) is not U.S. owned or operated, (Rajah something or other). IIRC... Autozone uses Exide.

Batteries can go bad if just sitting. Extreme temps can affect them more.

I have a 2 year old Autocraft (Advance Auto/ Johnson), battery sitting around a couple feet off the ground on some wood. It stll shows 11.98 volts.

Die Hard (also Advance Auto) is made by Johnson too.

Mechanic determined it to be the abs module so he's got one coming from a scrap yard somewhere. Should have next week sometime hopefully

Well i pretty much expected this to happen, but the scrapyard tater heads sent an incompatible part, it has no traction control. So the search continues!

Well i pretty much expected this to happen, but the scrapyard tater heads sent an incompatible part, it has no traction control. So the search continues!
All Lincoln LS ABS modules have traction control. Some ABS modules have AdvanceTrac (stability control). Is it really AdvanceTrac that you are talking about (car with wavy lines instead of spinning tire symbol)? I don't know of any way to program AdvanceTrac into a module without AdvanceTrac. I suppose that they might be able to downgrade your car from AdvanceTrac to just traction control. I wouldn't want that at all. AdvanceTrac was a great feature. Cars are now required to have stability control, as of a few years ago.

All Lincoln LS ABS modules have traction control. Some ABS modules have AdvanceTrac (stability control). Is it really AdvanceTrac that you are talking about (car with wavy lines instead of spinning tire symbol)? I don't know of any way to program AdvanceTrac into a module without AdvanceTrac. I suppose that they might be able to downgrade your car from AdvanceTrac to just traction control. I wouldn't want that at all. AdvanceTrac was a great feature. Cars are now required to have stability control, as of a few years ago.
Mechanic must've meant advance track, at any rate it was the wrong part number and was missing some pins inside the connector.

Mechanic swears they made some LS without traction control and dealer confirmed. Prolly base V6 models perhaps, interesting.

I've seen a lot of V6 3.0 and V8 3.9 LSes and everyone of them had Traction Control
Weird, if those ones had it you'd think they all would, but that's what they said. However dealers typically aren't the smartest people I've ever talked to, so maybe they are mistakingly saying traction control and meaning advance track.

Mechanic swears they made some LS without traction control and dealer confirmed. Prolly base V6 models perhaps, interesting.
He is wrong! Plenty were made without AdvanceTrac, but all of them had either traction control or AdvanceTrac (which also did traction control).

Weird, if those ones had it you'd think they all would, but that's what they said. However dealers typically aren't the smartest people I've ever talked to, so maybe they are mistakingly saying traction control and meaning advance track.
Not sure if you ever dived deep into the Plethora of Topics on LVC but Dealers are willing to say and do anything to sell their own philosophies to ppl and stop to any level in order to make their commissions...there was a Dealership years ago that put aftermarket body kits on Lincoln LSes and put gold plates on the inside claiming limited edition LSes and Called The Lincoln LS SS ( Super Sport ) ummmm yeah pretty cheesy especially when Chevy uses the SS thing

Well module Masters is out, had mechanic call to verify and arrange repair and they told him totally different shit than they told me and doubled the price of what they list online so he found a different place but I'm not sure where, will update when I find out in case anyone else has same issue.

Well mechanic removed the abs module and now my car is stuck in his shop with the brakes all locked up, putting the module back on (not repaired yet) doesn't change anything, anyone ever have that issue?

Well mechanic removed the abs module and now my car is stuck in his shop with the brakes all locked up, putting the module back on (not repaired yet) doesn't change anything, anyone ever have that issue?
Well, I never tried that, but I would have expected it to function correctly (just no ABS) with the module off. After all that is what it is supposed to do if the module is unpowered, which should be the same as removing it. The magnetic coils for the solenoid valves are in the module, and the valve cores are in the hydraulic part.

Well, I never tried that, but I would have expected it to function correctly (just no ABS) with the module off. After all that is what it is supposed to do if the module is unpowered, which should be the same as removing it. The magnetic coils for the solenoid valves are in the module, and the valve cores are in the hydraulic part.
Yes that's what he thought also, lol, he said he did notice the master cylinder was leaking into the brake booster or something like that, might be related and just coincidence. I shoulda sold this car long ago, I'm gonna have 8k or more into it if i keep going, everything i try fix leads to finding something else broken, lol

...he did notice the master cylinder was leaking into the brake booster or something like that, might be related and just coincidence....
It's not related to the ABS, but it is unfortunate, as the only safe fix now will be to replace the master cylinder and the booster. I don't think that you can get the booster new anymore, and I never had good luck with rebuilt or aftermarket master cylinders on other cars.
The brake fluid is degrading the booster.

It's not related to the ABS, but it is unfortunate, as the only safe fix now will be to replace the master cylinder and the booster. I don't think that you can get the booster new anymore, and I never had good luck with rebuilt or aftermarket master cylinders on other cars.
The brake fluid is degrading the booster.
He put the module back on and tapped on it and it freed up the brakes, it's having communication issues, so he's sending module off to get fixed but he's going on vacation so it's gonna be a little over 2 weeks before I'll know if it works again.

Well they said a transistor went out and fried the circuit board so they cannot fix it. My mechanic found one at a scrapyard but they want 650 for it, I'm gonna go check local scrapyards this weekend cause that's insane, I'll drive the sucker without abs before I spend that much, i hate that shit anyway, i miss the old school brakes that just worked, lol

Well i found a module with same part number in a scrapyard for 19$, i hope it works! Still need to do valve cover gaskets and some other things so i won't know till next week sometime, fingers crossed!

Well she's back on the road! The $19 module worked. Interestingly i was driving and stopped at a light and the message screen said "apply parking brake" so i did and it worked for the first time since i owned the car. I took it off and tried again and it failed like normal, lol

I have a 3.0 and a 3.9 both Gen 1's, and they both have Advance Trac.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 11-52-26 2001 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual - 2001-Lincoln-LS pdf.png

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 11-55-42 T11962LincLSOG-US - 2001LincolnLS-OwnersManual pdf.png

I have a 3.0 and a 3.9 both Gen 1's, and they both have Advance Trac.

View attachment 828576929
Note that the button image you show is for an LS with traction control, not AdvanceTrac. The AdvanceTrac button has an image of a car with wavy lines behind it. The spinning tire image is for traction control only.
AdvanceTrac has traction control, but it adds stability control to that. In addition to reducing rear wheel spin, it uses the brakes at all four wheels to attempt to keep the car going in the same direction as you are steering.
All LSes had at least traction control. Some also had AdvanceTrac.

1642537415766.png

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back