ABS and Traction Control lights

jerrym3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 LS. Got them both. Solid lights.

I gave up backyard car repair years ago (I don't have a code reader), but I'd like some input/experiences from you guys on this issue before I take it to my local repair guy (not a Ford dealer).

Thanks

Any ABS fault automatically disables traction control.
It could be as simple as a bad wheel speed sensor, or it could be as complicated as internal failure of the ABS module, solenoids, or pump. You need to start with reading the ABS codes (Ford specific scanner required) to know where to look first.

If you live in the snow belt... With the recent weather I 2nd Joe's suggestion on the wheel speed sensor. Snow/ice could have gotten into one of the connectors, or could have built up on the control arm/knuckle and pulled on the wire harness hard enough to stretch it when turning...causing it to break. First disconnect the sensor harnesses and blow put with compressed air, then fill with dialectric grease and plug back together... Then see if the problem goes away. Your local parts store can read the codes and pinpoint which wheel might be the issue.

Other problems (cooling related) have popped up. And, the radio goes nuts on it's own, and the roof leaks, and the passenger door will not open when locked.

I may have reached the end of the road with this car. Not worth the money to repair. but, 15 years...that's enough.

Shame, it's a 62K one owner car.

PS, I'm not in the snow belt, and all the ABS stuff hit before the recent winter ice/cold burst. (I'm in NJ, but we've had a fairly quiet winter until this past weekend.)

Cooling system: Plastic parts fail every 6 to 10 years - Replace all
Radio: Verify wiring / replace radio, plenty of aftermarket choices
roof leak: Partially pull down liner and reconnect drain tubes - may have to extend them to fit, may have to clear them
passenger door: rear doors do no open without first being unlocked. Front passenger door: Use of incorrect door handle (aftermarket handles do not auto-unlock like the factory one does) or broken door handle.

I'd say this is a very small list (for 15 years old) of very well known issues. Cost wise, this can't begin to justify replacing the car. If you just want something new (or newer) and/or new features, then go for it if you can. Just make sure you'll be at least as happy with the replacement.

My bad. Driver's door will not open when locked. Factory handle. Regarding the radio, from what I've read, the "clockspring" could be the issue.

Other stuff.

Interior windows fog and ice up. (Bad heater core?) No coolant smell.

Engine warning light now on, and "ETC-engine failsafe mode" warning on display. Engine running with effort.

This is my wife's car. Dependability and ease of entry are primary.

My bad. Driver's door will not open when locked. Factory handle. Regarding the radio, from what I've read, the "clockspring" could be the issue.

Other stuff.

Interior windows fog and ice up. (Bad heater core?) No coolant smell.

Engine warning light now on, and "ETC-engine failsafe mode" warning on display. Engine running with effort.

This is my wife's car. Dependability and ease of entry are primary.
I agree this is a very short list when it comes to the Lincoln LS ...your Lincoln wasn’t built on a Friday that’s for sure ...I seen some horror stories with this car and yours isn’t one of them :) anyway ...it’s up to you whether you want to send her down the road...you’re at the cross-roads ...you have to decide whether your replacing the cooling system or not ...and like Joegr said ALL plastic parts and I suggest a MotorCraft thermostat preferably....or sell it for whatever Kelley Bluebook is pricing it out as...I suggest not trading this car ...it would be like punching yourself in the face...the features on the LS are top notch and the drivability with the tight sporty suspension and rear wheel drive is like no other it’s affordable low end Luxury with a BMW Sports car feel...not sure what you will be getting for your wife but ...once you go with a Lincoln LS nothing else feels the same ...at least that’s my experience...I had a Cadillac DTS ...I kept it for about 4 months and sent it down the road ...couldn’t stand the front wheel drive ...not to mention the sluggishness going around corners...anyway good luck no matter what you do

My bad. Driver's door will not open when locked. Factory handle. ...

Simple fix. Replace the door handle, a hidden tab has broken on it. That's rare, so one from a junkyard should do.

...Regarding the radio, from what I've read, the "clockspring" could be the issue...

On the 1st gen sure, but very unlikely on the 2nd gen. Those clocksprings don't seem to fail much.

...Interior windows fog and ice up. (Bad heater core?) No coolant smell...

I really doubt. Heater core failure is rare (unless you aren't changing the coolant every five years or so). Fogging and icing at the base of the windshield is from air leaking past the defrost air door. Also, it helps greatly to really, really clean the inside of the windshield every few months.

...Engine warning light now on, and "ETC-engine failsafe mode" warning on display. ...

Well known issue. It's almost always marginal ignition coils.

Don't know if this is related to your window fogging problem but I had the same problem and I seem to have fixed it by accident. It seemed like my windows were always fogging up and one cold evening the condensation was actually dripping down the windshield. After a few days of dry weather, no more fogging.

A couple of weeks ago I got tired of the roof leak running down the driver side A-pillar, we've had a lot of rain in the last few months. I pulled the headliner down enough to reconnect the drain tube on the driver side. Well, I just realized that my windows don't fog like they used to. I think the carpet was getting soaked and retaining the moisture.

Unfortunately, when you have to rely on your local dealer for repairs, nothing's easy. It sits in the driveway, I start it every few days. I've told my wife to pick out another car.

As enjoyable as this car was to drive when we enjoyed driving, now, it's just a burden. Even if I were to get it repaired, I'd always be thinking "what's next?"

Unfortunately, when you have to rely on your local dealer for repairs, nothing's easy. It sits in the driveway, I start it every few days. I've told my wife to pick out another car.

As enjoyable as this car was to drive when we enjoyed driving, now, it's just a burden. Even if I were to get it repaired, I'd always be thinking "what's next?"
I know hat you’re say and empathize with you ...I agree it’s a very high maintenance car ...but it’s also one of the greatest car I’ve ever driven ...never had better handling going down I35 at 70mph with such pin point turning and all around great handling around corners

Right rear wheel speed sensor, guaranteed!

I know hat you’re say and empathize with you ...I agree it’s a very high maintenance car ...but it’s also one of the greatest car I’ve ever driven ...never had better handling going down I35 at 70mph with such pin point turning and all around great handling around corners

I hear you, but unfortunately, considering where I live and my age, cornering means making a turn into a pharmacy or food mart and 70 is an age that I passed six years ago.

It sits in the driveway, still covered in snow. I start it every few days, but I can't take the chance and drive it.

As soon as my wife picks out something she wants, I'll go talk to the dealer about trading it in.

Last edited:
Well, she's pretty much stone dead now. I've been starting her every few days, but as of today, battery must have gone too low, so all she did was "beep/beep/beep".

All I want off this car are my 2003 TBird wheels. The dealer can have the rest.

I'll probably stick with Ford because 1) the Ford Z plan discount (if I buy new) and 2) this might be my last car purchase anyway.

Thinking Fusion.

Members online

No members online now.
Back