ABS, AdvanceTrac, Traction Control, Power Parking Brake

bputty

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have lights coming on and off on all four of the above; however, have been reading the threads and believe I can fix them fairly quickly.

HOWEVER, I have a whining or squealing noise coming from under the hood. The noise started about the same time as the brake and tracking systems problems started. Does anyone have any initial suggestions on where I should look first. What would possible be tied between the brake and traction systems to produce a squealing or whining noise.

Thanks

your sure it's coming from under hood .. ? possibly be a bad hub that may have knocked out one of the
wheel sensors... just a thought.

...or a bad brake booster ? advancetrac is tied into the booster directly. how do the brakes feel when
applied ?

Given by his combination of errors I'd lean towards checking the wheel speed sensors as well. Noise could also be low pad indicators rubbing on the rotor. Wheel speed sensor even rubbing if lose.

Not sure from OP if noise only at idle, running, during braking or on de-accelerate.

Sounds like a brake overhaul to me. Focus given to pad/rotor thickness, hubs and it's attached wheel speed sensors.

don't let them get this low on material :shifty:

14102585_10210664658995599_259235774031486724_n.jpg

I'm going to guess in a different direction. Alternator?

Could even be the belt tentioner or run along pulley.

One of those, would need to be there, see and hear it.

OP could of course attempt to pull belt and perform start up check, see if noise goes away when nothing spinning then grab individual accessories and turn by hand, check for rough rotations.

Noise tuned out to be a bad alternator.
Now I just have the traction control light displaying in the dash.
And sometimes get the message on the dash of "check the power brake"
Anyone have a simple check list for the traction control and power brake?
Thanks,

Noise tuned out to be a bad alternator.
Now I just have the traction control light displaying in the dash.
And sometimes get the message on the dash of "check the power brake"
Anyone have a simple check list for the traction control and power brake?
Thanks,

Hey, the guess worked...

Are you sure that isn't "Check Parking Brake?" I've never seen anything about a "Check Power Brake," but check parking brake is common.
Did you do the electronic parking brake reset procedure? The message center should guide you through it.

Is it really the traction control light (spinning wheel symbol)? Or is it the AdvanceTrac light (swerving car symbol)?

Traction control light without ABS light would be some sort of comms issue between the ABS and the PCM. Seems like your speedometer wouldn't be working either.

AdvanceTrac light without ABS light is usually the steering wheel angle sensor, but it could be the yaw sensor or a few other things.

it is interesting, but not nearly as bad as a Alero, where you have to jack the motor up and remove one of the motor mounts since it runs through the belt.

Members online

No members online now.
Back