about trans swap

fuzzmancometh

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so i see alot of later model swaps going into our marks, but nothing about the same year.. i scored a nicely built trans out of a 1998 mustang for cheap, has under 5k since rebuild, plus on the road trip me and a buddy put quite a few ladies thru college at a number of places from boston to virginia. is the tailshaft the same? i know the electronics might need to be swapped/repinned... just need to know about the bolt up factor before i tear into it. also have a nice 3600 stall going in as well... let me know if you have any info on what i might run into!!

well its what i get for not doing my research before buying. it looks like a town car trans but has been rebuilt nicely. i was doing the JMOD and ordered some gaskets for the VB and ford gave me the news... kinda bumming... can anyone break down the year of it? PKE-BZ, 3W1P-7000-AA, 010985. forgot to ask ford for at least a year range.

It seems to be from a 2003 Town Car. There are 2 issues here.
First is the output shaft and extension housing is 1 inch longer, and your stock driveshaft will be too long. Measure the tailshaft housing to verify.
2003 MIGHT not have the teeth to run the VSS.

Ok what is the tailshaft length that I want... also, it has the vss cable on the side of it

I dont know anything about the vss situation.
The town cars did have a longer tailshaft to accommadate the longer wheel base, shares the same tailshaft as the p71. Now what i have heard of people doing is just swapping out the housings. I would also check some of the other driveshafts. Maybe its possible to put a p71 or other shorter one in there.

At worst you just swap the output shafts and put a new housing on it

I dont know anything about the vss situation.
The town cars did have a longer tailshaft to accommadate the longer wheel base, shares the same tailshaft as the p71. Now what i have heard of people doing is just swapping out the housings. I would also check some of the other driveshafts. Maybe its possible to put a p71 or other shorter one in there.

At worst you just swap the output shafts and put a new housing on it

well it looks like im doing my first 4r70w.. ill just rip it apart and find the right output shaft and housing. thanks guys

Dont worry its not a complicated transmission at all. Check out transmissionbench on youtube, very detailed.

well i checked the tailshaft housing length and its definitely shorter than the longer version and that was well as the output shaft was already been swapped when the rebuild weas done!! probably done to fit inside the 1998 mustang it came out of... no disassembly necessary! :D:D:D

I will with the one that's coming out... gonna build it nice and sell it. For now this is getting some black paint and good to go

14889944767372032080107.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back