a tranny question

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 00 V6 Auto Sport. The tranny is making some straining sort of whining noise when in drive while the brake is applied and the car is at a full stop. If I switch it to reverse, park or over to the sst mode it goes away.

It seems to build up it starts out a little quite then gets louder to the point where you cannot hear the engine at idle. I cedrtainly would appreciate some feedback.

What happens if you give it some gas while you're stopped, still holding the brake that is. Does it matter if you're in D5 or D4? What is perplexing me is why it goes away in SST mode...

I wil check it today. The sound does persist when shifted to D4 as well tsted that yesterday. I even tried to up shift in SST to test for the condition and could not duplicate it. It would reach 3rd gear before dropping back to second.

Thanks for dropping in on this thread.

well a short test drive a few minutes ago did not produce the noise. It has done it in the past maybe the tranny needs to be warmer. I will check it again later today.

kleetus said:
What happens if you give it some gas while you're stopped, still holding the brake that is. Does it matter if you're in D5 or D4? What is perplexing me is why it goes away in SST mode...

the humming/buzzing/squealing sound goes away once the brake is let up and a little accelerator is applied. It definitly does not happen in sst, reverse or D4.

At first glance I'd be inclined to say it's a vibration off something... but the way in which it manifests itself is what I don't get. D4 and D5 both start out in the same gear. Is the LS a cable controlled tranny? I wonder if the linkage or cable got loose somehow and is up against something underneath. When the car is sitting still and the motor at idle, the motor could be vibrating enough to shake things up a bit. A classic example is a heat shield on a catalytic converter. It makes noise at idle, you pop it in neutral, and the sound goes away, give it gas and the sound goes away too. You see where I'm going with this? I Havne't crawled under my car to see what's under there. At 5 freakin degrees out here, it's a little chilly even in the garage!

I mis-stated about D4 the sound s\does occur in D4 as I had mentioned previously. It does not occur in reverse, park or sst 2nd or sst 3rd. I cant get sst 4th while at a stand still. I may try to come to a stop tomorrow in sst4 and try to listen for it.

I apologize for the mix up.

Where the heck is 27.98n by 82.28w??? I don't have a globe handy!

SWFL. Tampa. It isn't quite as cold as where you are but it is chilly enough to keep this Sunshine State native indoors.

I have a buddy in Orlando.. He calls and tells me it's 80 degrees down there... I hang up... Prick...

Is your car running alright, no loss of mileage or obvious performance losses? It could be any number of things, when the driveline twists, it could be anything.

my brother is up in NJ I do the same thing and he does the same thing you do.

It seems to be ok except for the noise. I just had the oil pan gasket replaced. The oil pan is mounted to the tranny. The have to drop the engine and a bunch of ungodly BS just to replace the oil pan gasket. I am wondering if the horked somehting up in the process.

I may have to go thermo nuclear on this, I am sick and tired of this car now. I have tried to keep my nose into the wind and be accepting of the problems. I have passed the saturation point and am super saturated in disgust.

i may try small claims court. If they do not show the judge has to side with me. If they do show I get to vent to an over stuffed shirt worn by a ford lawyer.

Boy.. I hear your frustration, but that's going to be a tough battle. I'm guessing you're not the original owner of the car. With that in mind, Unless it was under warranty from Ford when you bought it, the really don't owe you anything. Granted it sucks that this is happening, and you're the one catching all the crap on this, but I would almost suggest passing the car off on another person, most likely the same way the original owner did to you.

I hope I haven't offended you. I kinda got taken on my LS as well, but I like to work on cars, even when I know something bad probably happened to it before I got it. From what the original owner of my car told me was his dad nailed a deer with it. Western PA, go figure. I showed the car to a buddy, who does a lot of body work for Ford, and his comment was yeah, he did hit the deer. Again, and again, and again. He also asked me if I have any leaks. Yeah, passenger A post when it rains real hard. He was in a hurry, so I wonder what he saw, that I didn't. I don't know why I'm rambling here, but I guess the point is we've all been taken off gaurd at one time or another. The trick is if you learn something from it for the next go round.

Before you go thermo lobster nuclear on them, cover all the simple crap first. It's tough to do, especially when you think you're wasting your time. Like I said before, It's probably something simple. I hope I'm right!

I'll quit giving advice now, and get off my soap box... Geeze.. I'm starting to sound like my parents! THAT'S more scary than any sound a car can make!

:)

kleetus said:
Boy.. I hear your frustration, but that's going to be a tough battle. I'm guessing you're not the original owner of the car. With that in mind, Unless it was under warranty from Ford when you bought it, the really don't owe you anything. Granted it sucks that this is happening, and you're the one catching all the crap on this, but I would almost suggest passing the car off on another person, most likely the same way the original owner did to you.

I hope I haven't offended you. I kinda got taken on my LS as well, but I like to work on cars, even when I know something bad probably happened to it before I got it. From what the original owner of my car told me was his dad nailed a deer with it. Western PA, go figure. I showed the car to a buddy, who does a lot of body work for Ford, and his comment was yeah, he did hit the deer. Again, and again, and again. He also asked me if I have any leaks. Yeah, passenger A post when it rains real hard. He was in a hurry, so I wonder what he saw, that I didn't. I don't know why I'm rambling here, but I guess the point is we've all been taken off gaurd at one time or another. The trick is if you learn something from it for the next go round.

Before you go thermo lobster nuclear on them, cover all the simple crap first. It's tough to do, especially when you think you're wasting your time. Like I said before, It's probably something simple. I hope I'm right!

I'll quit giving advice now, and get off my soap box... Geeze.. I'm starting to sound like my parents! THAT'S more scary than any sound a car can make!

:)

I picked up the car with 20k miles on it and at the time it ran great. It wasn't till about 35 to 36 k miles that I started having tranny issues and it seem that evry 12 to 20 k miles now it goes bonkers again. I might be whizzin' in the wind on this but it will be worth the 50 bux to file in small claims to challenge the institution.

Your advice is not wasted here. As a software engineer I have a realistic view of other products and how manufactures come to the MTBF of a product but this car has exceeded my capacity to be tolerant.

I am going to call the tech that works on my car this morning. I know he had a junior guy doing the oil pan; maybe this guy drained off some tranny fluid before he relized it wasn't the oil plug he opened.

I just came back from another drive lots of stop and go; I did not notice any drivabilty issues. Upon my return home I stopped with the car in D5 and waited for the noise and it did not happen. I do believe I heard a faint cavitation sound but I was alone and could not get out to listen a little closer.

I started shopping for a new car today, serioulsy! And the first vehicle I choose, becasue my wife would be driving it, was the Nissan Quest Mini Van. I hit up Edmunds.com to puruse the owners fourms and what do I find right away.... STP, Stinking Tranny Problems.

They only thing I can justify the move for is the warranty and the fact that my wifes 03 Altime 3.5 SE has been rock solid. It seems my LS has a new porblem every month and for a car that is driven on the Highway about 300 miles a week and maybe 20 in the city a week this is just too much.

I wont mind one it bit driving my wifes 3.5 Altima though; I just dont want to start pulling my hair out over a stinking mini van.

A fellow at flatratetech.com says it might be the dreaded moose howl of the IAC. I live in the south and am not familar with the moose howl and I have never had an IAC go bad and would like to know what the fine folks of LVC think.

Hey even if you think you are going to sound like your parents I want to hear it. :D

IAC? Is that the throttle air bypass valve that controls the idle speed, or is it something else. I've heard a few 92 and 93 crown vics with it, along with a 97 ranger that would do it time to time when it got hot. Kinda annoying, but it never hurt anything. I'm not sure what the actual fix was other than replacing that control valve.

EL, The only IAC I know of is on the throttle body. I replaced one on my son's Mark VIII.... The car ran like :q:q:q:q when it was cold. It would shake and stall. The valve ran about $75.00..

kleetus said:
IAC? Is that the throttle air bypass valve that controls the idle speed, or is it something else. I've heard a few 92 and 93 crown vics with it, along with a 97 ranger that would do it time to time when it got hot. Kinda annoying, but it never hurt anything. I'm not sure what the actual fix was other than replacing that control valve.

Idle air control. It helps warm the engine and such. I belive it also governs air flow to the fuel injectors for atomization of the fuel. As I understand it there is no fixing just replacing. I am not familiar with the moose howl and is wonder if any body can confirm this makes a howling sound when it is not functioning properly

Okay, we're talking the same critter... About the best I can describe it would be... Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... you get the idea. It's a low tone, a little buzzy maybe, about 250 Hz, so it's down there. As soon as you touch the gas it goes away, whenthe engine comes back to idle, it returns. On my buddy's 97 ranger, it would do it going down teh road if you were coasting sometimes... drop down a gear and coast, it went away.

I don't know if this is the same sound you have. If it happens again, stop the car (if convienient, duh) and set the e brake with it in gear, open the hood and see if it's coming from the airbox or intake manifold by the throttle body. You might be able to pin point it, or find out where it's coming from.

awesome. thanks. This sounds about right. The reaction to throtle application is just as you described. I didn't think of using the e brake before and typically this happens when I am alone. Thanks for the tech tip.

kleetus said:
Okay, we're talking the same critter... About the best I can describe it would be... Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... you get the idea. It's a low tone, a little buzzy maybe, about 250 Hz, so it's down there. As soon as you touch the gas it goes away, whenthe engine comes back to idle, it returns. On my buddy's 97 ranger, it would do it going down teh road if you were coasting sometimes... drop down a gear and coast, it went away.

I don't know if this is the same sound you have. If it happens again, stop the car (if convienient, duh) and set the e brake with it in gear, open the hood and see if it's coming from the airbox or intake manifold by the throttle body. You might be able to pin point it, or find out where it's coming from.

Thinking back to my Ranger / Explorer days I remember the Idle Air Control valve being the culprit in a few of the whhhoooooing complaints, sounds freaky when you step out of vehicle with the engine at idle. Since the LS (at least the newer ones) are throttle by wire I don't think that they have a IAC valve.

Members online

No members online now.
Back