A Serious Project

venomz

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at getting a 91-97 TC. I despise the 3rd-Gens because they look too much like Vics and Marqs. The 2nd-Gens are far more distinctive, and yet, with a little body work, can be updated a great deal to be on par with newer styling.

Body work isn't the issue. That, I've got covered. Mechanicals are my poison here, so, into the questions.

The engine appears to have the aftermarket support now to make serious power. However, I'm curious as to what pitfalls have been run into regarding this sort of thing. I have to assume that most aftermarket engine work and parts available for the 4th-Gen mustangs can be used on the TC ... if this is an errant statement, correct me.

Currently, I'm considering a twin-turbo setup on the orginal 2v, rather than a supercharger or simple bolt-ons. I've also considered sourcing a GT engine ... that's extensively more expensive, though.

Advise on this matter would be appreciated. I'm also fully aware that I will have to either get the computer cracked, or run an aftermarket stand-alone, provided I can find someone who has a standalone designed to support the TC. I've considered replacing the TC computer with the one from a 4th Gen Mustang in order to make the struggle for high power less of a fight. It stands to reason that if I try to mimic the electronics of the vehicle with the most aftermarket support, the project will be cheaper and less of a headache. This would require some easy but interesting interior modifications and some minor electrical patchwork, but this is also something I can handle.

We move on to the tranny, now. I don't know at what power levels the tranny would have to be rebuilt, but I assume that 600 HP might be a bit out of it's stock range. Is the support there for the TC tranny to build it for 600 HP, or am I looking into a different tranny? I have actually considered welding a faux tunnel for a floor shifter if the auto tranny can not handle my goal.

Finally, suspension comes to mind. Being nearly certian that quality swaybars and such things would have to be custom made, and that I'll need to brace the chassis a good deal to achieve any worthwhile handling performance, I wonder if any of you folks have any other tricks up your sleeves.

This is a serious project, and it'll probably take a couple of years. But I'm primed for it, and ready to build the Lincoln that Lincoln should have built.

Members online

Back