A New PROBLEM !

Carol

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Last night while driving my air conditioner stopped working. Then my lights all started flashing on my dashboard and the car stopped. It wouldn't even turn over so I had it jumped and then it started only to stop as soon as the cable were taken off. So it was towed to the dealer. I'm wondering if it could be a starter or an alternater. You know I bought this 97 conti and it only had 47,000 miles on it and I've had it for 1 year and it now has 54,000 miles. I never expected these problems (power steering etc) on this caliber car at such low milage.

Last night while driving my air conditioner stopped working. Then my lights all started flashing on my dashboard and the car stopped. It wouldn't even turn over so I had it jumped and then it started only to stop as soon as the cable were taken off. So it was towed to the dealer. I'm wondering if it could be a starter or an alternater. You know I bought this 97 conti and it only had 47,000 miles on it and I've had it for 1 year and it now has 54,000 miles. I never expected these problems (power steering etc) on this caliber car at such low milage.
Sound like your battery just died. Replace it. Maybe Alt.

Yes, a new battery and a new regulator for sure. "They" will sell you an alternator telling you the regulator is "internal" and that is the way they do it. You can get a regulator for $36-$50 and after removing the alternator is just another six easy screws to remove and replace the regulator. Did you notice the red battery light on the dash before the car died?
Regards,
Brad.

ok maybe I'm getting screwed! The dealer just called and said it is the altenater. $537.00 + tax. Of course I have to get it fixed since its there and I certainly can't drive it anywhere else. I did call Firestone and their price would have been $80.00 less and it would have been new parts also. Live and learn. I just hope they don't find anything else.

Alternators costs about $129 if you give them the old one back @ Advance Auto Parts. The most difficult part is just lifting the belt. The Alternator is right on top & isn't hard to change. Maybe a 1hr job.

Jeeze, $537+ tax totals to about $570 which is a lot.

I had almost exact same problem... I replaced the battery and wallah everything works great!

On a side note, before I got this car (94 conti) I replaced the battery for its previous owner, and although I told him I thought the battery he was getting was to small, he ignored my advice and went with the budget battery. Well in less than 1 year that new battery was toast , and the the electrical in the car went haywire. I however verified it was the battery by checking the "fluid" level in the battery itself. Low and behold they were all low... strange... I then used a charger on the battery and oddly enough the charger wouldnt work??? So I would suggest you try placing another battery in the car (use your mom's your dad's your best friends) and see if that works ... if indeed it does I suggest going out and getting a good sized battery I think I put a 650 cold crank in mine, has been working great now for the last 6 months.

Members online

Back