A follow up to dccv replacement

joespanova

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK ,
I just wrapped up the DCCV replacement and it seems to have cured the heat problem ( where as we had no heat ) now we have full control of THAT part of the climate controls HOWEVER , the AC is another problem..............the compressor engages and you hear a "woooshing" sound , kind of sounds like a vacuum leak under dash and AC wont blow cold. Is there a vac controlled door under the dash that may not be actuating? I replaced the o' rings at the comp manifold and it engaged compressor and seemed to be holding a charge after 2 weeks since the compressor would continue to engage when turned on.
Before changing the DCCV.........
It WAS working on one side of the dash ( driver side , warm on pass side ). although not real cold but it may have been low on charge as I dont have any gauges to check charge so I dont want to over charge ( going to have it vac'd down and charged at a shop)...............now I've changed the DCCV and all I get is the "vac" sound and no cool air............geeezus.

Any ideas as to whats going on here?

Thanks in advance.

There are no vacuum controlled doors on the LS.
The hissing sound you hear is refrigerant going through the expansion valve. Usually, you only hear this when the refrigerant level is low.

Interesting

OK..........I'll put a full charge on it and see what happens.........
Thanks

BTW , Joe........... anyone ............

at what point will the hydraulic fan kick on?

BTW , Joe........... anyone ............

at what point will the hydraulic fan kick on?

As soon as you turn the AC on, it should speed up a good bit. If not, you have a problem with it, (probably the actuator).

As soon as you turn the AC on, it should speed up a good bit. If not, you have a problem with it, (probably the actuator).

Well , WITHOUT the AC on it wasnt even turning.............in the driveway , engine at normal operating temp. I didnt observe whether or not it comes on when the AC is turned on..........BUT , with or without the AC , should it ALWAYS be turning?

OK

I go outside start car turn on AC , fan isnt spinning at all...................I drove the car and the engine temp was managed.........what gives?

OK

I go outside start car turn on AC , fan isnt spinning at all...................I drove the car and the engine temp was managed.........what gives?

While the car is moving at a reasonable speed, there is enough airflow that the fan isn't even needed. (The electric fan pretty much turns off above a certain speed, on gen II.)

The fan is needed when stopped and idling or at low speeds.

Well Joe................guess what.

My once freely spinning fan is now close to being locked up. I grabbed it by hand and almost couldnt even turn it. I had loosened the 4 bolts on the cover to get access to the top flare nut . Upon re assembly , on the floor and carefully lining everything up ( keyway , rotor etc ) it went together easy enough........now its damn near seized. I'm in the process of pulling the fan out and examining.
After replacing the DCCV and filling up the drained resevoir for the fan , did I not do something right .........bleed it or something?

I think I used the wrong fan fluid............I used power steering fluid.........oh snap!.....

A follow up to the follow up............upon draining the incorrect fluid , blowing thru the cooler and pumping remaing out of the pump and replacing the fluid with Mercon V , everything works as designed.

Fan is slow at idle , picks up considerably with AC engaged.

Does your AC work now? I hope you get it figured out one of these days.

Does your AC work now? I hope you get it figured out one of these days.

Well.........on one side anyway LOL ( DRIVER )
The pass side blows warmer ......you can open both center vents and sweep your hand across both of them and feel the pass side is warmer. I still have to vac and put a full charge on the AC , BUT , the little that I charged it with is staying in the system , apparently.......because the compressor still engages and its been 2 weeks since I charged it some.

May have a problem with the DATC control....ya know , I'm beginning to realize WHY Lincoln dropped the LS line LOL

I would suggest paying for a/c check up before you toss away $50 like I did on a can of freon from Autozone. I just charged mine and it definitely made a big difference. I have a new aftermarket compressor, brand new a/c manifold line, and dccv. It's cold as it should be. I bought the freon at Autozone and I ruined my sisters compressor thinking it was low. Thats why its best to pay for the diagnostic first. At least they can tell you what you need and if anything you can install yourself by saving labor.

Sounds simple, but have you checked the temp setting on the passenger side?

Among the other possibilities, is low refrigerant level. When the level is low, you lose the passenger side first.

you mentioned this as well:

"The hissing sound you hear is refrigerant going through the expansion valve. Usually, you only hear this when the refrigerant level is low."

Also have that happening, so like you said, maybe start with a refrigerant top up.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back