A few questions about the LS

mrlandyacht

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I am toying with the idea that if I can ever afford to have another car as a DD that would get an LS.
I have always loved their design and since it is a relatively small car, it would make a good choice.
I am not afraid of having RWD, in fact I sorta prefer it.
I would likely look for the LS V8 since I like the sound of a nice V8 motor and with it being a small displaced motor, I can't imagine it sucking gas any worse than say a Town Car.

to give you guys an idea, here is what I am driving now..it is going thru it's 4th winter now and I am hoping to not make it go thru many more if I can help it...oh and the Mark V is my dads car if anyone is curious.
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. currently about 223K on it but less than 5K on the new motor.
img_0002.jpg

img_0005.jpg

img_0009.jpg

just put this motor in September of last year...still not perfectly tuned yet, but pullin' pretty strong.
got Ported E7 Heads, Demon 650cfm Carb, FRPP E303 Cam, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake and shorty headers for now with duals and 3.55 gears with Posi.
engine1.jpg

but enough about that. lol

so the questions...

1. Other than cosmetically, is there any major difference between the 2000-02 LS and the 03-06 LS? for instance Motor and Transmission?

2. Can the 5-spd Auto that is in the 03+ models be directly swapped into a 2000-02 V8 model without any major trouble/modifications?

3. Are any years of the LS prone to certain problems such as overheating or anything?

4. Can the V8 in it be modded without spending much money and without sacrificing mpg? also, is there certain mods as far as the motor that will increase mpg?

5. Is Traction Control something that comes either Standard or optional in any year/trim?(not that I really NEED it, just curious)

6. Are there differences in the wheels between the years as far as how they mount...such as different offset?

7. What kind of MPG can be had in the city and hwy in a V8 model?
From the way that Consumer Guide talks, the V6 ain't much better on MPG than the V8, so why get it? lol

9. Do all models/years of the LS have the 3.58:1 gears?
thanx for any input guys, I really appreciate it.

-Colin

I'm pretty sure everything you asked has been covered before. So don't forget to browse & search the forums. here's my short answers :)

1. Other than cosmetically, is there any major difference between the 2000-02 LS and the 03-06 LS? for instance Motor and Transmission?
more power

2. Can the 5-spd Auto that is in the 03+ models be directly swapped into a 2000-02 V8 model without any major trouble/modifications?
maybe but why?

3. Are any years of the LS prone to certain problems such as overheating or anything?
coils failing! older years especially

4. Can the V8 in it be modded without spending much money and without sacrificing mpg? also, is there certain mods as far as the motor that will increase mpg?
not really. Rare engine, few bolt-on mods.

5. Is Traction Control something that comes either Standard or optional in any year/trim?(not that I really NEED it, just curious)
optional traction control or stability control

6. Are there differences in the wheels between the years as far as how they mount...such as different offset?
don't think so

From the way that Consumer Guide talks, the V6 ain't much better on MPG than the V8, so why get it? lol
Minor mileage difference. Just get the V8!

It has varied over the years. search forum

My parents had one before and wasn't sad to see it leave (same colour) BUT if it looked like that I would have been thats a great looking car.

oh thanx dude.
tryin' to keep it nice lol.

thanx owlman...sorry, just forgot to search.

I was just checking ConsumerGuide.com and they say that Traction control became standard on all models as of 2001 and most of the problems on them are in the 2000 but not in the 01+.

so I guess a 2001-02 LS V8 would be the way to go.

oh yea, I would for sure get the V8 is I get an LS..there's not point in getting the V6.

?'s

so the questions...

Motor and trans are different in the 00-02 vs 03-06
VVT was added tin 2003 to add more HP and torque. Engine management switched to a CAN system and now uses a different trans as well

No one has attempted this yet. The ECU will be the major hurdle even if the fit is possible.

Read up on this in this forum. The LS has a LOT of common issues.

No

THink its pretty much standadrd on all of them but sucks!! I went with a full blown LSD instead(custom)

NO, all the same, just a variety of styles between the 16" and 17" wheels

V6 gets 1MPG better. The LS is heavy and the 6 has to work much harder. Average LS Highway mileage is 25 or so.

No, early 2000 models and then 03-06. later 00 through 2002 have 3.31 gears and the V6 5spd has 3.07.

-Colin

It should be noted that the transmissions between the generations are virtually the same... just that the generation of trans changed. It's the same trans platform that is in some of the ford SUV's, Rangers, Mustangs.... What is the difference between the S and N generations? No idea... but it isn't likely to be much; certainly not worth a swap.

00-02 and 03-06 are very different cars; about the only thing unchanged was the chassis and most body panels. There were over 500 changes made; interior is rather different between the two, 3.58 became the standard rear gear late in the gen I production I believe. Gen II don't have the valve cover gasket and coil problems as much as the Gen I (save for early 03's). Gen I's also seem to have window regulator problems... Gen II have variable valve timing, double wall headers and a 3-cat exhaust.

Those are the major changes... take both for a test drive; you decide what you like the most... reliability is kind of luck of the draw to an extent... same with most US built cars.

BTW... I'm not a fan of almost all 80's cars; I think they are horribly ugly monsters. BUT... I will give you credit on that car of yours. 1988 with 225k on the clock... and a MICHIGAN car non-the-less. That thing should have holes where you can see from one side out the other! It's in great shape and looks like you've taken VERY good care of it! For heaven's sake... keep it out of the snow (salt)!!!

Don't get a Gen1 LS. You can get one for next to nothing. I would get an 03 v8 or newer or not get one at all. Just my .02cents

BTW... I'm not a fan of almost all 80's cars; I think they are horribly ugly monsters. BUT... I will give you credit on that car of yours. 1988 with 225k on the clock... and a MICHIGAN car non-the-less. That thing should have holes where you can see from one side out the other! It's in great shape and looks like you've taken VERY good care of it! For heaven's sake... keep it out of the snow (salt)!!!

thanx dude.

that's my goal is to get "MAGNA" out of the snow...as far as I can see, it is not possible to do it by next winter...but I want to start thinking about it in case the right job comes along or something.

so it sound like the LS is more Looks than it is Reliabillity...but I think if I were to get one, it sounds like the 03+ have the better reputation than the 2000-02.

These "common issues" are they common in the 03+?
or are we just talking about brakes and struts?

LS Mods

I have an '02 V-8. For ideas concerning mods, read the threads concerning the efforts of Quik LS and ILLS. Or my own under Land Speed LS. Speaking for myself, all issues were taken care of during the dealer visits for oil and rotation that 'went' through 40K miles. I have 112K now and several annoyances that'll be dealt with as I have time. It's my daily driver so details get taken care of in betweem the efforts directed at the engine and peripherals.
KenS from Ben's Place

Members online

Back