A/C will not charge

RJLipscomb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2006 LS V8:

I had my LS in the local Ford shop this morning to get the A/C charged and working again.

The mechanic told me that the system would not take any refrigerant. The compressor is running. Any ideas, I know it isn't much information. But, I'm guessing this is a common problem. Also, no Lincoln shops nearby.

No, not a common problem at all. Need to know the low side and high side pressures.

2006 LS V8:

I had my LS in the local Ford shop this morning to get the A/C charged and working again.

The mechanic told me that the system would not take any refrigerant. The compressor is running. Any ideas, I know it isn't much information. But, I'm guessing this is a common problem. Also, no Lincoln shops nearby.

So refrigerant cannot be added or doesn't seem to stay in? If it can't be added, the fill valve would be defective, If it doesn't stay in, there is a leak. There really can't be other answers, logically speaking, as Spock would say.

OK, but I am assuming the FoMoCo mechanic checked that and the OP said "the system would not take any refrigerant".

I agree. I question the ability of this Ford "mechanic" since he reported "would not take any refrigerant" instead of whatever the actual problem is.
To charge the system, you hook up a gauge set, and refrigerant is added through that set. If the low side fill port was clogged or whatever, then the low side gauge would read zero and no competent person would even try to add any refrigerant.
If the low side was normal or high and the high side was low, you wouldn't try to add refrigerant because you know you have a problem with the compressor or the expansion valve. If the low side was low and the high side was very high, you also wouldn't add because you would know you had an expansion valve problem. I really can't think of any case where I would say "would not take any refrigerant." I can think of several cases where I would say "I can't add refrigerant because xxxx."

Not a lot of confidence in this mechanic. The Service rep said his former Lincoln mechanic, was out. I had been there for 2 hours and needed to get to work. So, I rescheduled for next Friday.

The service rep did note the mechanic used gauges but couldn't add refrigerant. He may have simply avoided saying the LP side read 0, but the compressor was running. He wanted to know if I had time to wait while they looked for a blockage. I am assuming that these Lincolns have their perky issues well known to Lincoln owners but not to the average Ford mechanic. Like check the "fill valve".

No. The AC system is not that different from any other of the same vintage. If you have a blocked port, it will be the first one I have heard of on these. Maybe he couldn't find the low pressure port?

Maybe he couldn't find the low pressure port?

I almost think this may be a high chance of whats going on...

also sounds like they had the "tire guy" working on your car, any TRAINED mechanic (working at a dealer) should know exactly what is going on, and I would expect a dealer to tell you "this is your problem, and it will cost X amount of dollars to fix" or even if they weren't 100% sure because they didn't have the time, I would think they would at least give you a range that it could be... but saying the the "Lincoln guy" isn't here just doesn't make sense... something just isn't stirring the cool-aid, you may(probably) have one one of those terrible dealership service shops... unfortunately, its not uncommon.

I have always had good luck with this dealership. Thinking it through here while reading the replies leads me to believe that maybe they didn't have time for me today, i.e., over booked. Though I do believe they tried to recharge the a/c, but ran into problems. And, perhaps it was the tire guy working on my car. The service rep did say that next week, he would be able to get a more experienced mechanic, implies the regular a/c guy, and wanted me to feel more comfortable with the guy that used to work at the Lincoln dealership (it closed and converted to another brand). My appt. was at 9am and the rep came to me at 11am.

But, having said that, what could cause a "blockage"? I understand a valve not working. But don't understand what would classify as a blockage.

I may go and invest in gauges and work through it myself. I do have an inherent distrust of service facilities. But my bad back does limit my desire to keep crawling under the car.

hopefully that is the case, and you'll have better luck next week.

off the top of my head... a common failure (well common for AC failure) on the LS is the compressor leaks, when it leaks, it leaks out all of the oil first but still makes cold so people don't see a problem right away, then as it runs out of oil, it starts to eat itself and throws small bits of itself through the rest of the system.

not saying that is your problem, but its one way I could see something causing a blockage...

also if somebody previously "serviced" it and did not do a great/correct job, they may have got contaminates into the system.

Update:
Bad evaporator discharge sensor and the A/C compressor needs to be replaced because it "has very low performance" according to the local Ford Service Shop.

Okay, can you tell me where is the Evaporator Discharge Temperature Sensor located? Part number? Where can I get a new one? I cannot seem to locate it online.

Thank you LoudLS. It didn't help me. But, I have read / seen it several times while searching for guidance. I am going to replace the evap sensor. I will attempt to get to it without taking out the dash, but I'm guessing the dash is coming out. There is a Fordmalco (?) On YouTube that demonstrated the replacement on a Ford Fusion. He kept referring to the LS and I'm again guessing it will be in a similar location.

I also have an issue with my message display, the lighting is dimmed. So, I can switch it out at the same time.

All I need now is the part number. I cannot locate it on any website. Perhaps Ford wants the service shop business.

...I also have an issue with my message display, the lighting is dimmed. So, I can switch it out at the same time.

All I need now is the part number. I cannot locate it on any website. Perhaps Ford wants the service shop business.

It's the whole cluster that has to be replaced. It's in the $600+ range if you can still find it new. Dealer will have to marry it to the PCM and your keys before the engine will start.

Thanks Joe. You made that decision very simple, not going to happen! I can still read the messages, it's just dimmed (daylight) and more dimmed (night).

I am more concerned about the Evaporator Discharge Temperature Sensor. I can't find it listed on any site. It may be YH-1504 and just have dual uses and named for the other use.

It could be XW4Z-19C734-BA. It is listed as three per car (evaporator temperature, right discharge temp, left discharge temp).

Members online

No members online now.
Back