A/C vent actuator

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha all,

Have question regarding the A/C vents. Recently, I got 1262 on my A/C diagnostic. Went to Rock Auto to purchase the actuator (Motorcraft).

My question is, I replaced the actuator but the air is still coming out of defrost vent which is right under the front windshield. Is this normal? It's been a while since my A/C was working correctly, so I kinda forgot, but I think my dash vent blow little harder when everything was working.

One last thing, is that when I receive the actuator, box have BA code at the end, but the actuial motor have DA code. Is this OK? If not, I already installed the motor, so I doubt I can return it............

Hi Joe.

I did the diagnostic on the A/C panel and told me it's Defrost actuator. I think code was 1262. It also gave me 1265 but according to what I read, that's like a fake code.

I forgot to add that what I remove had BB code at the end, but as I wrote, my new one have BA on box but the motor had DA code on it. When I remove the BB code motor, it did not move at all when I turn the key, but my new DA code motor moves with turn of the key. However, since it's a DA coded motor, I'm not sure if the movement is the right one.

I have a pretty bad backache right now so on my next day-off, I'll try to gain access to the motor I received and post the picture along with the motor I removed.

Yes, I know the defrost actuator was correctly identified as the problem. My question was did you correctly identify which of the identical actuators was the defrost actuator? Also, did you do the wiring tests?
DA is for the floor air control, but might work for the defrost. BA is for the Defrost on 03/04.
Did you rerun the self test after installing the new actuator? Did it fit correctly.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

Yeah, I checked the part # as well and thought they sent me a wrong one. Well, it may still be the wrong part, but aside from the hole I had to drill for locator pin, it did fit OK. But the position of the arm was wrong, so I took it off from the old one and put it on the DA motor.

I have a day-off coming up on Friday, and I know how to take things off now, so I will get to it again and take picture of the stuff. I still have the old motor for comparison.

Because I drilled the additional hole I don't think I can return the DA motor, so if it's the wrong one I just keep the motor as my spare. Believe it or not, it's getting hot here so I did order BA motor from Tasca, so this time, I'll check the motor before I do anything.

I finally recovered from bad lower backache which happened two week ago and really bad cold last week, it was time to work on my actuator again. Bottom line is, that I was able to get it fix. Just had to clock the arm correctly and hold it there for a while until the motor learn the correct movement. But just to make sure, I got the correct BA motor (more on this later) from Tasca, so I went ahead and replace the DA motor which I previously installed.

Now the A/C vent is working correctly and no air is coming out from the defrost vent until the correct button is pushed.

But before you do anything, when you get the part, make sure to open it and check the part #. If all the motor from AA to DA don't make any difference, then I guess you can skip this. But if not, check it before you install. I order same part # twice, each from different places and twice I got different part # motor.

Original motor I removed from the car.
20170302_150917.jpg

I got this first from Rockauto. Part # on the box.
20170302_150859.jpg

Actual motor that was in the box ( I took this picture after I installed it into the car and remove it to replaced with the BB motor I got).
20170302_194335.jpg

Second motor I Order. This time it's from Tasca.
20170302_150944.jpg

This is how I received the part. Box was open an was taped closed. Something fishy..........
20170302_150955.jpg

New motor I got from Tasca is on the right, old one I removed from the car is on the left. Notice that number on second line is different.
20170302_151033.jpg

Notice that both box has XW4Z, but all the motor, including the original motor I remove have YW4H? What are we paying for?...............XW4Z sticker are so expensive......................

Members online

No members online now.
Back