a/c problem( Am I Gettin Ripped Off ?)

mr_myko

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I took my lincoln ls v6 to my mechanic and had my a/c looked at and he said its gonna cost about 1200$ to fix it, so they put some freon in it and he said i need a new compressor, dryer, condensor and some kinda of tubes or somethin, my mechanic calls it "the black death" I took it 2 him because my a/c only blows cold air while i am driving the car not while i am idling,

obviously take it to somewhere else to get a second quote

dont tell that place about going anywhere else

LOL, the black death...

sorry... I would have lost it right there in the shop... just saying

All years of the LS take R-134a refrigerant, not Freon (R-12). This is good, because Freon is very expensive.

Perhaps you should take it to a Lincoln dealer and pay the $100 to $200 diagnostic fee. If you were experiencing "black death" then you AC system would be very noisy when it is on, unless it is just starting. BTW, $1200 is not nearly enough to replace all the parts required if it were black death.

All years of the LS take R-134a refrigerant, not Freon (R-12). This is good, because Freon is very expensive.

Perhaps you should take it to a Lincoln dealer and pay the $100 to $200 diagnostic fee. If you were experiencing "black death" then you AC system would be very noisy when it is on, unless it is just starting. BTW, $1200 is not nearly enough to replace all the parts required if it were black death.

Thanx, i appreciate every ones feed back, so there is a such thing as "black death"? I didn't know if they made it up or what

If you have to open the system to replace the compressor most likely you have metal shavings in the system. To be able to warranty the compressor the parts house usually requires you to also replace the Dryer the sock the condensor and the orifice tube [and maybe the expansion block]. And several o-rings to boot.

This is normal for a shop to be able to warranty work. You maybe able to get away with with the compressor and the orifice tube with flushing of the system. Maybe. And several o-rings.

Just my 2-cents.

Whats Black Death ? ? lol

It's when parts of the compressor get ground up and mixed with the refrigerant and compressor oil. This mixture spreads to everywhere in the system. Some Ford dealers have the right equipment to be able to clean this out of the evaporator and the condenser, but everything else has to be replaced. The independents, have to replace the condenser and evaporator too. It generally happens when the compressor leaks oil for several months and you don't notice it until it starts making noise. It's usually too late then. I check my compressors for signs of oil leaks every time I change engine oil.

I took it 2 him because my a/c only blows cold air while i am driving the car not while i am idling,

I recently noticed the same thing happening on my 04v6. Takes a long time for the AC to cool down with in-town driving. It has been unusually hot here lately though.

Perhaps a recharge is in order... how much does that usually run?

you are misinformed R12 is a cfc R134a is a hcfc and r410 is a hcfc and r510a hcfc they are all freon and refrigerant the word freon is copyright of dupont co.. freon is another word for refrigerant

It's when parts of the compressor get ground up and mixed with the refrigerant and compressor oil. This mixture spreads to everywhere in the system. Some Ford dealers have the right equipment to be able to clean this out of the evaporator and the condenser, but everything else has to be replaced. The independents, have to replace the condenser and evaporator too. It generally happens when the compressor leaks oil for several months and you don't notice it until it starts making noise. It's usually too late then. I check my compressors for signs of oil leaks every time I change engine oil.

I still think they should just call it what it is and explain it and not rewrite history with illnesses that already happened

"yeah man, my car has the black death... the castle inside of the dash is infested with it... all the little soldiers are throwing the infected into big piles and burning them so the plague doesn't spread... hopefully the ford dealer can give me more soldiers to help the cleanup effort so my castle can be cleansed of this plague"

xD

you are misinformed R12 is a cfc R134a is a hcfc and r410 is a hcfc and r510a hcfc they are all freon and refrigerant the word freon is copyright of dupont co.. freon is another word for refrigerant

I will defer to you, but I still believe that Freon is the trademarked name for Dupont's R12 only. It was often used for other company's R12, but never for R-134a.

Members online

No members online now.
Back