a/c problem.. again :(

Hi Joe
I wanted to get the Pag oil changed at 100k. Is this best done at the dealer? The mech. told me the system needs to be evac. and recharged. Is this worth doing? T.I.A.

It doesn't blow cold at all... never. Not at start up, and not after running a while. Even when cool outside and set to 60 and the engine is cold. When the A/C is running you can hear the gas circulating in the system, its pretty loud. But no temp change.

Thanks for that info! I have no clue how some of that affects anything though. lol I'll just know that it is likely nothing like the AC in my '89 Town Car.

Asialee... it sounds like low gas too me as well, but I don't know this system so well. But from a technical stand point, the engine reving higher could cause the pressure to go too low and cause the compressor to cut out. Of course that's only on a normal AC system.
Welcome to the LS club :) nice car btw :) Do you plan on fixing you a/c ?? for me, its a must have !! Not saying im spoiled :D just saying i hate the dame heat :)

Have the a/c checked. I had the same issue about a year ago and ignored it. My a/c finally stopped blowing cold air about 6 months ago and they told me I had to replace the compressor because of a leak. Not only the compressor but the drier, condenser and expansion valve needs to be replaced on mine. I now drive with the windows down.
Yes, I plan on taking it in to the dealer in within the next two weeks . I'll post an up date as to what's wrong with it ~~ Wish me luck :)

I understand, and it will be a big pain to diagnose if they can't make it fail while sitting still. (They can connect a scan tool and read the high pressure side while driving at least.)

I reread your post about the last failure. It's still possible that it's just low refrigerant. If so, they can detect that while it's sitting still, even if it is cooling okay then.

I hope your right and its just low refrigerant ! That's good to know that there able to at lest hook up a scan tool and take it for a test drive.. hopefully it will let them know whats going on or maybe go warm to cold :D

Welcome to the LS club :) nice car btw :) Do you plan on fixing you a/c ?? for me, its a must have !! Not saying im spoiled :D just saying i hate the dame heat :)
Yea it definitely must be fixed before late spring / summer. There's a green colored grease/oil on the line I can see leading to the compressor. I think its leaking. The line is something like $140 on rock auto, but I would like to make sure its the problem before replacing it.

Either way, the car is my wife's commuter and she's 3 months pregnant... a/c is top priority at the moment...

Hi Joe
I wanted to get the Pag oil changed at 100k. Is this best done at the dealer? The mech. told me the system needs to be evac. and recharged. Is this worth doing? T.I.A.

There's no maintenance replacement of A/C oil. Its life is nowhere near as hard as engine or tranny oil.
The only thing to do is monitor the compressor and replace it before it fails entirely. When replacing, either the new compressor comes with oil in it, or you add oil to return the system to full.

Hi Joe

Sorry, I missed this post before. Like oddball said, there is no reason to change compressor oil. If you did, yes it would have to be evacuated and recharged. If you are not having any problem, then you might actually induce one. I wouldn't do it.

So it turns out, my car was low on gas. That was the problem. Apparently its leaking somewhere, and my money is on the hose from the condenser to the compressor covered in green dye. But for the moment it works.

But FML, I get under there and find a NEW problem!!! Every time I fix something, something new comes up! I saw theres a brace that goes from right behind the front wheels to the body about even with the cats. The one on the driver side has been ripped out... literally! the pieces of metal where the brace attached to the car is still there, but the brace itself is missing. It looks like something messed it up, and instead of replacing it, they just ripped/cut it off the car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back