A/C help, please

How many times have you replaced the Motorcraft COPs and they have lasted only about 3yrs/36,000 miles?

More like 3-yr/36K-miles or less on the OEM COPs and DCCV in my car. I'm still rocking the original cooling system stuff at 11 years and 140K-miles later. It's the one issue I HAVEN'T had with my car yet. COPs, DCCV, and Toe Links I've all been through at least once, most twice. The DCCV I've been through 3 or 4 times from what I can remember. I got 140K-miles out of the OEM AC compressor and Valve Cover Gaskets before they started to leak as well. Already did the valve cover and the AC system is coming up this weekend.

I'm sure that the cooling system stuff is coming soon, but I'm not going to go look for more things to fix. I still have the Drive Shaft Center Bearing to replace, front suspension overhaul, rebuild all 4 shocks, brakes to replace, and then finally general interior replacements. I may have got 140K-miles out of the car but the last 10K-miles or so things have deteriorated quickly.

The OEM/Motorcraft COPs always seemed to act up on me after 30K miles or so. After the second failure aroudn 60K-miles I replaced them with an Accel 4.6L 2V Coil. The Accel coils I got 80K-miles out of and probably would have gotten more if the O-Ring didn't fail on the valve cover. Oil seeped into 3 of the wells and burned up a couple of coils.

The DCCV I seem to replace every 30K. There has been at least 4 in my car since I bought it with 16K miles. The OEM factory one died somewhere around 40K-miles if that helps. One time it went bad I just replaced it with whatever Autozone had sitting on the shelf and only got about 15-20K miles out of it so definitely worth getting the motorcraft boxed part. The current Motorcraft one has about 25K miles on it so far so if history repeats itself it'll probably die in the next 10K-miles. The one good thing about the DCCV failing so much is I never had to worry about flushing the cooling system. I just had them drain it every time they pulled the DCCV and fill it back with new coolant. So my plastic cooling system parts are still going strong. :)

But since my LS is now just my hobby/project car, it might take me 2 years to put 10K on it.

Last edited:
I bought some Delphi (GM) coils and will be putting them on in the near future. Interesting that you've had such bad luck with the Motorcraft ones, as a lot of people here say they're the only ones to buy.

I haven't had to go through the DCCV thing yet, hopefully (knock on wood) none of the cooling system crap at least for awhile. We've only had the car about 8 months. ('03 V8) So far a remanufactured transmission, A/C compressor, and looks like a power steering pump now, thought it was just a hose but that 'fix' didn't work after all. Car had 48k miles on it, now 56k. Love the car itself, but it's sure been a pain in the ass so far.

Members online

Back