A/C compressor question....

MadProfessor

LVC Member
Reaction score
The previous owner pulled the a/c line off for some reason and it was missing when I bought the car a few weeks ago.
I noticed that the compressor is making quite a bit of noise so it needs to be replaced.

My question is this........
Can the compressor be swapped out and ran without a new line and system charge until a line can be added,the system purged and charged at a later date or will this destroy the new compressor?
Do the compressors come oiled and capped or does the oil have to be added when you receive the compressor?

You want to run a new compressor without vacuuming the system down? Yes, that will ruin the compressor and the system quickly. You do know that you MUST replace the receiver/dryer too, right?

Yes, the compressors come with some oil, but it is usually just for shipping and not the correct amount.

Yes I do,but I think you misunderstood the question.
I have no line on the car right now,it was pulled off by the previous owner for some reason.
The compressor needs to be changed because it is on the verge of locking up and that will do very bad things to my belt which in turn will leave me walking.
I want to replace the compressor without the line for the time being, no contaminates will be introduced into the new compressor because there will be no line.
Yes,I realize the accumulator needs to be changed at the time the line is installed,system purged and system charged.

The question is whether or not a compressor can be installed and ran with the factory oil and plugs in it without destroying it.
Basically,can it be ran as an idler pulley for a while until I find a line, an accumulator and get the system charged?

Sure. Just leave the cap on where the lines would connect. The clutch will not be engaged, so the compressor won't be running. The oil in the compressor isn't a factor in this case, only the outer part of the clutch will be turning, not the compressor scroll.

I assume there must be some problem with the clutch on the old compressor, because the compressor itself isn't operating, just the outer part of the clutch.

Yeah,it was screeching when I fired the engine up after the timing chain replacement, head job and coils.
The car runs like a beast but I'm the new owner so naturally I have to find all of the items neglected by the previous owner...THERE ARE MANY,unfortunately.
I have a new compressor but not the line and accumulator yet.
Didn't want to burn the compressor up just to keep the car mobile for now.

Hey, it occurs to me that if you have the electrical connector to the high-side pressure sensor disconnected, the system will engage the clutch. Make sure that you do not connect the electrical connection to the compressor clutch until you have everything else in place.

Good advice......when I swap it out I will make sure it's not connected electrically to the system so it just runs as an idler pulley for now.

Members online

Back