A/C Compressor Clutch Failing

pghpete22

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time listener, seldom caller. It looks like my A/C compressor clutch is about to take a crap. I hear a grinding noise coming from that area when I push the A/C button on. When I turn off the A/C, the noise doesn't stop, but if I restart the car, the noise goes away, until I once again press the A/C button.

Anyway, the dealer and a mechanic strongly urge me to replace the whole compressor instead of just the clutch. At $550 for the compressor and approx. $300 for labor, it's a bit pricey, but what say you all - replace the clutch or opt for the whole shootin' match?

If just the clutch is gone just replace that. Why in the heck replace a good working compressor. I pick up ac clutches for like 90 dollars at parts stores. Just remember the .010 to .015 clearance for the clutch. I do these all the time and fords seem to blow apart just the clutch bearings. Easy to change if you can get to it. And no messing with refrigerant.

Sometimes the clutches fail because the compressor is failing and putting too much load on the clutch.
The dealer is wanting to change the compressor out so that no matter what it will work and you will be happy. If you replace just the clutch, you are taking a chance that you will still have to go back in and replace the compressor too. If you replace the compressor now, you are taking a chance that you will have spent more than you needed to.

I'd go by mileage. If you have more than 100K, then replace the compressor.

I agree with Joe, that being said.....if you can determine that the pulley brg is bad then just replace that, ($60.00)..but like he said it is just a crap shoot. The Ford stuff is all separate so the comp, clutch, pulley, and field add up to $975. retail (new) and $560. lvc for all parts. If the noise goes away when you shut down the a/c then I do not think it is the pulley brg.
Max

Staff online

Members online

Back