99 transmission

mista_g713

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 99 continental with 150k on it. the problem that i have is when i hit maybe about 70 or 80 on the highway the check transmission light will come on. it does it only when i hit high speeds for about 10 15 min. or so. the check engine light will also come on. the car will usually run fine though sometimes when i stop at a light and then hit gas it will take a second or two to get going, the whole car will shake. i took it to mechaincs and they cant find anything wrong, i also just had it flushed. any help on this will be appreciated.

Did they pull the codes for the transmission and check engine light? If not, get that done, preferrably right after the cars check lights come on.

There could be two unique problems or only one. My check engine light recently went on. Pulled the code and it was telling me I was running lean. This could be a lot of things, so I decided to take one step at a time and was able to fix the problem without investing any money, just some time to clean the airfilter and the MAF sensor.

thats the thing, they didnt check it when the light was on, when it does come on it only comes on for maybe no more than an hour. ill have to get it there fast right when it comes on.

The codes will be resident on the computer memory, so you don't have to check it when the light is on.

My Dad had the tranny light come on in his 2004 Taurus when we were going thru the mountains and it was the torque converter throwing the code and the light would go on and off intermittently. He had Ford check it and they could not recommend anything to fix.

I would recommend just dropping the tranny oil pan, replace the filter and replace the 7 quarts or so of fluid with Mobil 1 ATF. I have been reading the posts about flushes causing problems, so I am going to avoid tranny flushes. I have found doing this minor service to my tranny fixes all my issues so far and gives me 2mpg more. Amsoil is the other oil I would use.

Regards,
Brad.

I think a 99 is unservicable unless you PULL the whole trans out. And the code should be stored on the computer. It might me a sensor, it could be the trans going. I would check in the tarus forums, they have the same trans. You can probably find more info on this subject their.

Just out of curiosity did you check the trans fluid according to the manual? Maybe their is to much or not enough.

And I have read as long as you get you trans flushed at every scheduled maintenence it has no ill effects on you car, but if you go 100k and then get it done for the first time, it will go out on you in the first 1000 miles if it's gonna go. I will admit from the horror stories I have read, getting a flush on the ax4n is a gamble.

Members online

No members online now.
Back