99 sts?

mustang767

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy a 1999 seville sts with 95,000 on it. it looks like it is in very good shape. I was wondering if there is anything i should know before i buy it like anything that commonly goes wrong with them around that mileage or just anything to look out for. any help would be appreciated

Two things to check before buying it. First check the codes in the car. Turn the key on. To the right of the steering wheel, hold down the info^ button, and the on/off button for several seconds. The dash will light up then go black. It will then say all?. Press the on/off button. It will then say all codes?. Again press the on/off button. It will display any codes that are currently in the system. History codes aren't too important, but current codes might be trouble. To exit diagnostics just turn the key off. Second, many Sevilles form '98 thru '04 have a 60 to 75 mph shimmy/vibration. During the test drive, get the car between this speed range to check for it. If it exists, sometimes a Hunter Road Force balance will cure it, and sometimes it won't. Definitely not a deal breaker, but can be quite annoying. Another thing to check is for haed gasket trouble. During the test drive, make sure that the engine gets up to full temperature. Then beat the snot out of it. Do several wide open throttle (WOT) runs, safely of course. If the engine has been babied all its life, there will be lots of carbon in the cylinders. It will sound like it is detonating. Do not worry as this is normal. After several of these passes, the carbon will clear out. but if the head gaskets are shot, the car should overheat. Also, if possible, take a trip up a long hill, under a good load. That is another test for HG problems. If all checks out, you are probably in good shape.

Don

Members online

No members online now.
Back