99 Navigator and I'm stuck at a RED LIGHT

b.a.voice

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator and just recently has the service engine soon light come on. So the very next day, I'm driving around and I approach a red light...I'm there for about 25 seconds and then my car just dies out completely. Talk about confused... LOL. Mind you the truck turns back on, but I'm stuck driving wondering what my truck is gonna do next.

A couple days later :) I took it to the dealership to get it diagnosed and they said I had to replace my Oxygen sensors and my idle air control valve. After the diagnostic test, I was stuck driving the truck for 2 days before I could get it in the shop and those two days had me shaking in my boots. Everytime I would stop, the rpm would stay then go down, stay then go down...it was getting extremely annoying so I got the work done. The O2 sensors were replaced along with the idle air control valve.

Now I just got it out of the shop and the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is still on. What should I do next? I only drove it about a mile down the street back to my apartment but what if the same problem occurs when I drive again and the rpm's keep going up and down until the truck just completely stops? What should I do about the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light? Can somebody help me? I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

B.A.

I've had the same problem before and It was the type of fuel I was using. You have to use Premium fuel in the Navigator. I was confused when it happen to me because I was using High Octane fuel it was my girlfriend who was using regular grade fuel. Try letting the fuel tank empty out then put the prestone fuel injection cleaner for SUV's and the fill the tank and the light should go off.

Get a full fuel flush, tranny flush, and that should take care of your problem.

i dont have a navigator but had the same problem and it was the
oil filter not on properly

Thanks to all of you. This place is great. I'm getting a full flush (everything) and a full oil change tomorrow along with using PREMIUM gas cuz unfortunately I was using regular like a cheap college kid....lol. Could I use mid-grade? Or does it have to be the highest priced gas? LOL. Sorry. Thanks lincoln lovers. LINCOLNS ROCK!!!!!

I belive Navigator HAVE to have 91+ Octane. Anyways I don't blame you in a way for buying the cheap stuff after all gas prices are insane. But I'm a high school kid and I don't mess around with anything under 91 octane for my lincoln just because I don't have to pay near as much as you do with that 30 gallon tank I only got a 18 gallon one.

Anyways I want to say :W to the LVC and as you notice you got questions we've got ansers. :Beer

Thanks Bro....after I get this fixed, I definitely get a pic of my lincoln up here. I'll go ahead and start putting 91 octane in there too. Thanks again for the welcome. Later

GOT another question lincoln lovers....I took my truck to my mechanic and he says I dont need the flushes and I told him the situation with the truck just dieing out at a stop light and they think its something with the computer system? What does this mean? Is it accurate? Should I just get the flushes or should I go to the dealership again and get another diagnostic? Please let me know. Thanks

I did the fuel flush and got a full oil change along with put the most expensive gas in my truck. Its still doing the same thing friends? ANY suggestions PLEASE???

I think you should have your dealer look at the vacuum lines for the PCV system, esp if the codes are p0171 p0174. You got hosed on the IAC and 02 sensors. Those PCV hoses deteriorate and break down right behind the throttle body and right at the pcv valve.

I bet you have a bad vacuum leak from those hoses, seen your symptoms alot and that is usualy the problem and since its a 99 and im guessing higher milgeage that will be your problem.

the tricky part is getting the correct vacuum harness to fix it.

I've never worked on Lincolns before, but when I had this CEL problem on another brand of car. I had to replace my MAS or MAF ( Mass air flow sensor). The sensor burned out because I added the K&N air filters. If you use any of these style filters, hurry and change them to OEM's.

Try going to AutoZone and have them check your CEL, and see what it reads again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back