99 Lincoln Conti no fuel

kt3rr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Lincoln Continental. The problem started out with what I thought was an intermitant connection problem. I disconnected and cleaned the terminals on the fuel pump connector harness near the fuel filter under the vehicle. This made the car run sporadically for about an hour. After that pump will not come on at all. I checked the fuse, relay and also had 12v at the roll over switch. All looked good. Have not changed the fuel filter yet since it seems more of an electrical issue. No pressure at the shrader valve. Is it time to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump, or have I missed something?

Sounds like the pump may have finally committed suicide. But have you checked anything else? Is it running rough on a regular basis? Hard starts here and there? what other symptoms have you had with it?

Our 1999 Conti was occasionally dying, with a hard or no restart, then fine at the repair shop after a tow, then week or so later died again. We replaced the crazy expensive fuel pump assembly, but the eventual problem was the fuel pump control module (controls voltage to the pump to set fuel pressure).

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram of the fuel pump circuit but so far no luck. Hopefully the wire color remains the same from the inertia switch to the module. The connector under the passager side rear door had no voltage at that point with key on. The engine does crank but no pressure at the shrader valve. I tested that first.

I have 12 volts going in on red wire to inertia switch. Also have 12 volts coming out on white wire. The white wire entering the fuel pump control module mounted behind passager side rear seat has 12 volts. However I only have 2.7 volts coming out of the White/ red stripe wire. Another wire does have 9 volts on it but I dont believe that this is for the pump, but I could be wrong. Still havent found specific info on wiring for the fuel pump.

Replaced the fuel pump control driver module today. Still no pump running. I read in another forum about a ground problem on pin 3 of the module. Without a wiring diagram of this specific vehicle, I'm hesitant to ground any pins at random. can anyone add any input as to what or where I search next.

Any parts places near you with free Alldata or Mitchell on demand?

I think you have done what can be done without a real manual. Maybe it time to find a good shop and let them look it up?

Back in business

Well just to summarize. I purchased a new feul pump assembly from the Ford dealer. Dropped the tank down. Installed the new fuel pump assembly, and reinstalled the fuel tank. I turned the key and nothing heard. Shut it off and tried twice more. On the third turn of the key I heard the fuel pump come on. Shut it back off and on the fourth turn of the key the engine cranked and started. That sound of the engine running was music to my ears after this whole ordeal. I was trying to avoid having to drop the tank, searching all other options, but the answer was surely a bad fuel pump. Many thanks to all of you that contributed answers to my questions. I just wanted to let everyone know of the outcome. :)

i know this an old post, but i thought i would share my experience... if i heard the pump kick when I turned the key I knew it would start, so i dropped the tank and replaced the pump. Symptoms where still the same. There is a controller in the trunk attached to the back seat. I went to the ford site and couldn't find a replacement. Got an old/used one from ebay and no problems since.

I had the same symptom -- if I heard it prime, I knew the car would start. Mine eventually quit completely and it was the pump, not the module. It's easy to test for voltage at the module harness to rule it out.

If I ever do have to replace the module I plan to crack open the old one to see what fails.

Members online

No members online now.
Back