99 Cobra question

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a question bout this 99 cobra i am thinking bout buying, It was traded in at work on a 03 cobra, the guy had aftermarket wheels,so he took the wheels and tires off and put on wheels that obviously didnt belong on the car(too Narrow,245/70/17,i think thats what i saw)and ugly american racing wheels, that is not a problem,i can change that, my question is ......is the 99 one of the recalled cobras if so how would i know if the recall has been fixed, can i still have it fixed, or last resort what can i do to boost it short of adding a supercharger or empting my wallet......on a sour note, the mark will be the trade on it :eek2: i know it will be a sacrifice,but i would love the cobra,,,,BTW my price around 11,995 mileage, havent checked yet(its been locked) black, w 5 speed....just need to lose the wheels! let me know :feedback :bow: :Beer

Keep the Mark

Cobra is realy nice but it's not a Lincoin, You will miss the MK after its gone.
Remember.. Class Style, Attitude, the cobra only has the latter,

Want something different try an STS, or get a newer MK...

Don't get me wrong, If you realy want the cobra..GO FOR IT..it is a true American Muscle Car.

irs = wheelhopping sob if you're into launching hard
you can call the dealer and give them the vin to find out about the recall status
what you can do to increase performance depends on your goals an budget, as always

Keep the Mark, make it a project car, run some boost on it. You'll be way happier and you can proudly say you DO NOT own a Mustang !

Make that baby a ""Hot Rod Lincoln", now that's a TRUE American Hot Rod.
But were talking about a "empty wallet" doing so, it's up to you...

MAT88GT said:
irs = wheelhopping sob if you're into launching hard
you can call the dealer and give them the vin to find out about the recall status
what you can do to increase performance depends on your goals an budget, as always
I only had wheel hop with the IRS in my Marks maybe 2 times in 7 years.

The 99 Cobra was a recalled year, as it was down on horsepower by a big margin. Check the VIN with the dealership to check if the recall had been done to the car. It dealt with the programming in the computer and an overly restrictive exhaust. No big deal. Wheel hop is a problem that is easily fixed as the aftermarket has expanded vastly for these year snakes. How many of you MK's can run 12's n/a in the 1/4 mile? This car can do it with very few modifications and still keep very good street manners. On that note, no, the Cobra is no MK.

Last edited:
MAT88GT said:
once you really start shocking the irs (slicks, 7k rpm launches) is when you run into wheel hop problems
Nope, not true. I have 340hp and made wheel hop with 275/40's. Listen closely to the VIOLENT HOP (which ripped my shocks from the floor) after we were done filming a few holeshots we went to look at the marks and where I hopped there was a foot and a half between the patches of rubber! Now thats rear hop!

http://www.lincolnmotorsport.com/burnoutrear.mpg

SNK BITN said:
OneBadMK8, 86 Capri? Got any pics? I will have one of those eventually :D
Heres the Beast.

hatch.jpg

onebadcat2.jpg

I missed out on a nice grey one just like that and I'm still pretty upset about that. I had given the guy some cash to hold it while I got the bank check and when I came back the next day it was gone. That is one lovely Capri, what are the mods?

As of now just a 4.10 rear with strange axels and a Auburn. Mods here in the garage awaiting install are: Tube k member, 306 roller motor, 4500 stall 8 inch ATI converter with a C4 w/manual vb and transbrake, Denny's driveshaft, sumped fuel tank, and a load of other parts.

99 cobra with irs

was just browsin through the net and seen this thread, couldn't help but register and reply, i m 21 years old from cali n just happen to own a 99 cobra, did my research on the car before i bought it, the way u call tell if ur car's got a recall done is by lookin at a tag under the hood, looks blue and has writin in red, it talks bout the mods changed after the recall, and for the car being powerful, wow, it somthin, i bought it stock with round 310 hp with a 5 spd tranmission, after just 3.73, long tube headers, 2.5 inch x-pipe and cat bak i was smokin corvettes by 2 car lenghts, now i have modified to a prochager p1sc with three layer intercoller with automatically upgrades ur fuel system with 42 lbs injectors and 155lph fuel pump, teh cars at above 500 hp, the only problem is that it sounds tooooo loud with teh long tube headers and x-pipe but its worth the speed, the only problem with the 99 cobra's is the calibration, it changed after the recall, so if ur plannin to supercharge ur car, the custom chip wont' work, u'll have to get ur own custom tune, i would high recommend diablo sport preditor, it totally eliminates the need of a chip, it flashes and reprograms the car and u can do it over and over again as many times as u want dependin on ur mods, oh yeah and the irs problem, i m runnin high 10's with my mods with irs, never had any problem yet, we'll just have to wait n see if that's a problem.hope fully i answered all ur questions regarding the 99 cobra, its a very good car and i drive it daily, gas mileage is very fair with the mods, only bad thing is i can't let the gas tank go under half tank or the fuel pump won't function right. reply if u need more info on 99 cobra.
PS, just smoked a viper by long ways last week, now that's power.

:bow:​

500 HP on a 155lph fuel pump, doubt it. And they come 320 HP stock, no cobras had autos. What are "automatically upgrades?"

Knocking Noise in Cobra

Just wanted to know if anyone knows or has heard of any problems with the 99 Cobra Mustang making a tapping noise. I thought it may be lifters or a Rocker Arm but nothing has come up. The noise gets loud around 2000 RPMS and is horrible, for that matter because of this problem I got beat by an 03 Mach1. If anyone knows where the noise could be or experienced it themselves please let me know. It is a top end noise either middle or passenger side of the motor. Any info let me know.

viiiball said:
I have a question bout this 99 cobra i am thinking bout buying, It was traded in at work on a 03 cobra, the guy had aftermarket wheels,so he took the wheels and tires off and put on wheels that obviously didnt belong on the car(too Narrow,245/70/17,i think thats what i saw)and ugly american racing wheels, that is not a problem,i can change that, my question is ......is the 99 one of the recalled cobras if so how would i know if the recall has been fixed, can i still have it fixed, or last resort what can i do to boost it short of adding a supercharger or empting my wallet......on a sour note, the mark will be the trade on it :eek2: i know it will be a sacrifice,but i would love the cobra,,,,BTW my price around 11,995 mileage, havent checked yet(its been locked) black, w 5 speed....just need to lose the wheels! let me know
For $3700, you can put a KenneBell on your Mark VIII and it will make you forget all about the Cobra. In fact, it'll leave the Cobra in the dust.

the problem with tuning is probably due to not listing the new catchcode for the updated flash. My 98 towncar had ddk3 on the computer, however reinhardt performance told me how to get the hex--code from the dealers scanner that tells him the actual code. It was now ddk5. You may still have a company without that code and need to send in the ecm for a custom tune. Or take it to a shop that does custom tunes.

As for the other post about the knocking around 2k could be caused by revised air/fuel mix after "the recall" or insufficent oil pressure & or quality.

Members online

No members online now.
Back