'99 Cobra engine and my '93 Mark VIII

Stangman

Project car a.d.d.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to look at and possibly purchase a '99 cobra engine with 13,000 miles for $150... first of all is that a good deal? Second, what would it take exactly to get the cobra stuff into my car and work properly? I am seriously considering this.

I do know that the heads are different... but thats as far as I know when it comes to Modular engines.

Thanks!

Jesse

That is a good deal, but you will have some work cut out for you! You can make it easier though by swapping valve covers.

And, FYI, its the same motor though really. I dont think there are any drastic changes, but for $150 its a deal. But if your engine is fine, I would not do the swap - not worth it.

One other difference is the cobra got a forged crank, which has 8 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. Your motor has 6, so you will need a different flywheel. As far as what else you will need, you will have to swap your oil pan onto it, get some headers, and get the cobra intake tube as well. And also a tune obviously. Other than that, it should be pretty much a direct swap.

The '99 engine also has C heads over his B head '93/'98 DOHC. It also has COP ignition of course, like 97/98 Marks, with revised cam covers.
Although its rated for substantially more power than the Mark's engine (320 vs 280 (single/y exhaust)), keep in mind that is with the Cobra's exhaust, inlet tract and PCM programming.
Note '99 Cobras had the over-rated HP fiasco, however they were recalled and a revised intake, exhaust components and PCM calibration were installed - same used for the '01 Cobras. The '99 engine you are buying should have had the revised parts installed via recall. PCM is useless to you.

Besides the intake tube and a 8 bolt flexplate (can just use the 99/00 Mustang GT part), you will probably have to do some modification for the fuel rail as the 99's is returnless. Not to mention engine electrical and vacuum harness routing.

For $150 it's an absolute steal. I assume you meant $1500.

$150 is a steal for a good running 4V. 99+ are C head motors probably need different fuel rails, possibly messing with the throttle cable bracket and a new throttle cable. The stock exhaust manifolds may work but if your doing the swap you should use the new manifolds they flow better which means steering linkage mods. Intake tube may work 99/01 Cobra intakes face 90 degrees like the Mark manifold 96-98 cobras are at a different angle. Don't know about hood clearance would be an issue like on the 96-98 manifold on Gen1s and as Blenderhead said 8 bolt flexplate. Also probably a tune to get it running right.

Ya. It will be more than $150, I assure you of that. I have an 04 engine in my 96.

buy it now for $150.... even worth considering for $1000. If you plan to do a power adder later on, do yourself a favor and throw in forged rods and pistons. You already have the forged crank and assuming it's in good shape, it will be a mostly bolt together operation. You'd have to pull the heads and reset the timing on the cams... not TOO difficult if you've done some engine work and can follow directions. Pistons, rings, bearings and rods w/bolts should set you back about $1000 and with those low miles, the bore should be perfect (which means no machining required. Pick up ARP mains studs and head studs. You'll have a STRONG engine that was relatively cheap!

Downside is... your teksid block in your mark is a better block than the WEP which came in the 99/01 cobras. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you plan on SERIOUS power numbers.

Downside is... your teksid block in your mark is a better block than the WEP which came in the 99/01 cobras. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you plan on SERIOUS power numbers.

Actually, that '99 Cobra engine would still have the teksid block. The WAP block was for '01 production

Was waiting for someone to mention that.

Actually, that '99 Cobra engine would still have the teksid block. The WAP block was for '01 production

I was under the thought that only the Mark's had the Teksid blocks as all the other Mustang engines that I have built or worked on did not have one :confused:

I'd have to verify, but I believe 98 and earlier were teksid... they did build them from 99-01, but they were a limited production and enhanced design; not likely to find them in a cobra... as I recall, they were a ford racing part.

EDIT: I stand corrected, WAP came in 01, some left over teksid even made it into the 01 cobras.

HOWEVER, "In 1999, Ford changed the main cap detail, eliminating the jackscrews that preloaded
the side of the main cap. They also changed the width of the cap, and switched to a different side
bolt with a higher torque value. The diameter of the hole for the knock sensor was also changed
from M8x1.25 to M12x1.50." says SHM

For serious power just do the complete swap to our teskid block...that is if the 99 cobra block isn't the Teskid block...But if it is the Teskid block, GO FOR IT!!!:D

There were a mix of WAP and Teksids in 01 Cobras. 99s seem to have more Teksids, but there are also a few WAPs. Pull the intake off and look at the bottom of the valley, if there's a diamond pattern it's a WAP - if it's a square pattern it's a Teksid.

Unless you are doing some serious FI you don't need to worry about block strength...

+1
at this power level.I don't think there is a mark viii out there that is pushing enough power to be worrying about blocks even if it had WAP block.There are cars out there pushing 700 + rwhp on aluminum WAP blocks.Before someone jumps in I know all marks came with Teksid blocks.

That motor is a steal put that one in and have the teksid rebuilt(with forged internals of course), then put it back in and keep the c-heads and the intake and sell the cobra motor as a short block. It will sell those motors dont last long on ebay or craigs list.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the engine. :mad:

I called the guy and said I would be heading that way after I helped move a big screen TV from one house to another.

Well, Called the guy back, and he didnt answer. Called several times and even texted. Never heard a thing.

And yes, it truely was One hundred and fifty bucks.

It had no cam covers, no timing gears, no timing cover and no intake...

Oh well. My Mark runs very well for now I guess. I bought a daily to use as a daily, not end up making it a racecar... Funny how all my daily's end up leaning that direction, LOL

$150? for a cobra motor

I'd just buy it for the heads and block if nothing else.

It possible it is a Teksid block. As mentioned in a previous post, one good way to determine a teksid block is to pul the intake and observe how the top of block is machined. Cross hatchs in the valley means it IS NOT teksid.

93 to 98 4 v heads have primary and secondary intakes...8 intake ports per head. the 99 and up 4v heads have 4 intake ports and are commonly referred to a tunnel port heads.

If anything buy the block and drop it into a 96 to 98 Mustang gt which had poor breathing 4.6's.

Members online

Back