!987 Lincoln Contintental

Adamsstash

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought an '87 lincoln contintental in September, The suspension is having problems, but it doesn't look like a leak, the air bags stay up over night when it does work, and sometimes are imbalanced, is this an electrical problem perhaps? and would i be best off converting to coils springs?
any responses would be great, i really like this car, its my first and i want to fix it up, but want to keep it as low priced as possible
(high school student)

go into more detail on what goes wrong. i like the air suspension, its not that expensive to fix.

Well, when it gets colder out, my suspension does not rise, but when it warms up, the suspension doesn't have many problems, also it doesn't look like a leak because both sides go up when warm, and stay up, i can't hear air leaking, and thats the only way i can really sum it up, maybe its my dryer on the compressor?

does your compressor come on or does it do nothing at all when it is cold.

There is probably moisture in your air dryer and when it gets cold it will freeze and clogg your air dryer.

pepperman said:
There is probably moisture in your air dryer and when it gets cold it will freeze and clogg your air dryer.
How would i go about fixing this? just replace the dryer? because i can hear the compressor working

Athough it could be moisture in the dryer, I would first replace the o-rings on the solenoids. When the temperature drops to extremes it causes the rubber o-rings to harden. When they harden like this they produce a small leak. This would explain why the car leaks down unevenly and only durring cold temperatures. While waiting on replacements I would get some nuematic oil and rub around the o-rings on each solenoid. This will not be a long term fix, but should help you out in the short run. The orings are very inexpensive and very easy to replace.

Matthew_14 said:
Athough it could be moisture in the dryer, I would first replace the o-rings on the solenoids. When the temperature drops to extremes it causes the rubber o-rings to harden. When they harden like this they produce a small leak. This would explain why the car leaks down unevenly and only durring cold temperatures. While waiting on replacements I would get some nuematic oil and rub around the o-rings on each solenoid. This will not be a long term fix, but should help you out in the short run. The orings are very inexpensive and very easy to replace.

If as an 87, all you have is an o-ring issue, you're good to go... :)

hottweelz said:
If as an 87, all you have is an o-ring issue, you're good to go... :)

Better to start with the simple things first. It is obvious that there is a problem with the o-rings. Whether or not that is the only problem can be determined once the o-rings have been addressed. I would agree though, that when dealing with these air suspensions, there's always some other problem right around the corner.

Members online

Back