98 Mark VIII Exhaust

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I realize everyone has an opinion so I'd like to hear whats the best mufflers for my car? I'm going to put true duels on with a crossover and don't want to get any (as little as possible) vibration from the exhaust......Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen......Still Alive by the Grace of GOD :oops:

Hi Bruce, IDK if you read this right up but it gives you the mud on what I did and the end result for the most part. One thing I did after all the work in the article is I made glass pack baffles that fit into the chrome tail pipe ends. That finally got the car to where the exhaust note is pretty decent and I can listen to the music at a quiet level with just a slight rummble in the back ground. The 3 flowmasters on the car are not stainless but cheap enough to replace if it ever got to that. Good luck with what ever choices you make.

Thank you xtriggerman. I misspoke when I said "vibration" really meant to say "drone". A terrific right up. I was thinking hard on the True Benz stainless setup @ 2.25". The set comes with a crossover. I'm thinking of having a muffler shop do the work. I am wondering though if it would be better (for me) if I used more or less stock mufflers as I just don't want the drone......and can't do what you did to get rid of the noise. I admire you with the job you did, welding, modifying, installing the sound deadener to achieve the goal you set. Me? I'm just a shade tree mechanic where normally I end up doing the work I'm doing maybe twice or more and if that doesn't work it's either take it to a shop to fix or a mobile mechanic. I've come to the realization I'm not capable of doing the work I did 20 years ago (I'm 81). So when I get frustrated and I mean frustrated I just take it to"the shop".......Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen......Alive by the Grace of GOD

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, Yes, the most effective way of ending up with no drone is a pair of OEM style replacements in the back. Also, a dual 2.25 in and out muffler for the center crossover is a good idea. I was surprised I had so much drone out of the mufflers I had first chosen. Sounded like a dirt track stock car! My advise is use this one in place of your cross over. Flowmaster 524554 Flowmaster Super 50 Series Chambered Muffler and then have your shop fit a pair of OEM type AP mufflers in the back. They can source those from what they sell. Going to 2.25 duals will still be a bit more HP even with the quiet set up like this one suggested. The factory base model exhaust was super restrictive especially up behind the forward cats.

Your a gentleman xtriggerman, thank you again for the excellent information which I will use completely

:oops::oops:So before I pull the trigger on True Bend need to ask about the cats. The muffler shop says I HAVE to reconnect ALL the cats the car came with. If this is the way it is I'll have to find a way to connect them. So to be truthful I think there are 2, one on the exhaust manifold no problem, and then there is the other one. I'm not going to spend 1K for Kooks to get rid of the one on the manifold. If I had the welding expertise you have xtriggerman it'd be no problem but having to work with a shop, not much I can do. If I lived closer to you in Tenn. I'd pay you to do the job. Hmmm, I could do a little road trip.........Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen......Alive by the Grace of GOD

:oops::oops:So before I pull the trigger on True Bend need to ask about the cats. The muffler shop says I HAVE to reconnect ALL the cats the car came with. If this is the way it is I'll have to find a way to connect them. So to be truthful I think there are 2, one on the exhaust manifold no problem, and then there is the other one. I'm not going to spend 1K for Kooks to get rid of the one on the manifold. If I had the welding expertise you have xtriggerman it'd be no problem but having to work with a shop, not much I can do. If I lived closer to you in Tenn. I'd pay you to do the job. Hmmm, I could do a little road trip.........Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen......Alive by the Grace of GOD
Well if thats the case, then instead of the center muffler cross over, do the cross over and get another center cat like the one that comes on the single exhaust base model. They are pretty small if I remember right. So you get them to weld the 2 cats on the rear of the crossover piece. Just not sure if the X crossover is far apart enough for the cats to sit side by side. You muffler shop will know a way to get that done. I junked mine but I think it was a 2" or 2.25" anyway on the center cat. Sorry but I hate working under the car on my back. I did it because if I had to pay some one, I wouldnt have a dual exhaust. I'm just a retired Corrections Officer. No big money there! But I'm happy to help out here if I can. These are nice cars but in a year or so, I might give/sell my 97 to my son and get a 2007 or newer Jaguar XK coupe. Been wanting one of those for a while now. About the same 300hp in a 3700 lb car. The XK-R is a supercharged 420 hp 4.2L. 5.0L in the newer ones but not sure I want that in a used car. Alot more to break.
Good Luck figuring out your pipe project.

Well if thats the case, then instead of the center muffler cross over, do the cross over and get another center cat like the one that comes on the single exhaust base model. They are pretty small if I remember right. So you get them to weld the 2 cats on the rear of the crossover piece. Just not sure if the X crossover is far apart enough for the cats to sit side by side. You muffler shop will know a way to get that done. I junked mine but I think it was a 2" or 2.25" anyway on the center cat. Sorry but I hate working under the car on my back. I did it because if I had to pay some one, I wouldnt have a dual exhaust. I'm just a retired Corrections Officer. No big money there! But I'm happy to help out here if I can. These are nice cars but in a year or so, I might give/sell my 97 to my son and get a 2007 or newer Jaguar XK coupe. Been wanting one of those for a while now. About the same 300hp in a 3700 lb car. The XK-R is a supercharged 420 hp 4.2L. 5.0L in the newer ones but not sure I want that in a used car. Alot more to break.
Good Luck figuring out your pipe project.
Hi , Bruce ! Sonny

Members online

Back