98 Mark VIII Drivers seat motors/transmission

rmartin1364

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first post, though I've been looking at the forum for a while.
My drivers seat stripped the forward/back gears in the seat transmission. I bought a transmission only on Ebay and installed it.
I put the seat back in the car and this is what happened: the seat will go back and forth and will glide, but only when the seat is forward a ways. When the seat is further back and the lever is activated, the seat will move an inch and stop. It also does not glide all the way back.
I think the motors are out of phase with the seat position.
So I have a couple of questions: is there a process for getting everything back in phase?
Also, when I had the seat disassembled, I lubricated the glides, but no matter what I did, the glides were smooth at some points but were hard to move at others. Shouldn't they move smoothly all the way through?
Thanks for any help or ideas you might have. I have appreciated all the help I have gotten from other posts on the forum.
Live long and prosper,
Randy

OK- addendum to my post. This is interesting. I took the seat apart (again) and put jumpers to the motor for forward/backward, and raise/lower the front and back of the seat bottom and they all seem to work fine on the bench. Maybe the switches or the weight of the seat?
At this point I do not know. I'll reinstall it and see.
Randy

Last edited:
I don't believe this is very likely, but perhaps the seat attachment points on the floor pan are not all exactly level. Tightening the seat hold-down bolts and nuts would cause binding on the seat tracks. If that's the problem, it could have caused the previous gear set to strip out; binding at some points on the previous glides - "tweaked" from having been bolted down crooked; binding only at the rear on the replacement transmission. Anyway...good luck.

I don't believe this is very likely, but perhaps the seat attachment points on the floor pan are not all exactly level. Tightening the seat hold-down bolts and nuts would cause binding on the seat tracks. If that's the problem, it could have caused the previous gear set to strip out; binding at some points on the previous glides - "tweaked" from having been bolted down crooked; binding only at the rear on the replacement transmission. Anyway...good luck.
I think you got it. I put the seat back in the car and did not tighten the bolts all the way. It works better than the first try. I then tightened everything down and it still works. I also put a dielectric corrosion block on the connectors. I don't know if that helped, but the it may also have something to do with the switches. The car has 190K miles, so some of the systems might be getting tired.
Thanks for the tip Tom!
Randy

Members online

Back