98 Mark drivers seat

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
MOST OF THIS IS INCORRECT, PLEASE DISREGARD. READ #5 The fore and aft adjustment on my drivers seat just ratchets and won't move. I know the motors bad. I have new motors (Motorcraft p/n MM949) by the suggestion of Bruce Budnick. Anyway I have tried to take the seat out but as it's all the way back and won't move as much as I've tried. 3 of the 4 hold downs are out. BUT the one I need to remove is the right inboard (threaded bolt) there is no access to it. It is up against the tunnel, the only part I can see is the threaded end. I have tried and tried to move the seat, even putting my feet on the lwr back and PUSH and PUSH. Seems to be locked in place. So my question:Is there a way to release the seat so it will move? If not then I going to try to get a high speed and cut the bolt by going between the 2 pieces of metal it holds together. This I would rather NOT do though. IF anyone has a suggestion on how to get the bolt out I'm listening.......Bruce L. Hansen......Senior Citizen......Alive by the Grace of GOD

Last edited:
I pulled a set of seats out of a 98 in the junk yard. No power. I took the seats apart. I removed the seat backs from the lowers. There is one bolt on the trans tunnel side of the seat, and 3 bolts on door side. Unpull the harness and remove seat back. remove plasitic trim, and unbolt controls. Then useing a ratcheting wrench unbolt the 4 13mm bolts that mount seat bottom to seat rail. Then you have access to the bolts on the rail.

No cutting or drilling, just a little time. Was able to bolt them back together and then reinstall them into the car.

93red-m8, You my friend are a real life saver. Thank you. Without your reply I don't know what I would have done.........BTW welcome to the forum......You're already an asset. BLH

Last edited:
Since this subject has popped up, My seat works most of the time as long as I leave the memory off. Only the lumbar is stuck. I guess I'm lucky with just that. A while back there was an out standing write up on how to fix those seat base motors. I saved it and should copy the article just because its THAT good. This is gold to any one taking these seats apart!

Thanks xtriggerman.......My problem is I'm having difficulty getting the seat out. It's being held by the drivers aft inboard bolt. There isn't much room to put torque on it. I already broke one swivel, going for 2....Using PB Blaster to loose it up. No matter what the seat is coming out!......UPDATE: Since I posted this, the seat is ready to come out, all the bolts/nuts are off......I'm not the knucklebuster I used to be by any means. The aft inboard drivers seat had a nut , I should have known this I had the seat out before. EVERYTHING I said in the 1st description was totally incorrect.......total lack of observation, if I would have JUST looked around and not focused on one area I would have been miles ahead......The GREAT thing is the seat is coming out and I'M GOING TO REPLACE THE MOTORS!!!!. I thank GOD for small favors........Bruce

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back