98 Mark chrome grill

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My grill is peeling and turning black in different areas.....I'm sure I'm not lone....SO my question is what have YOU done to correct this?.....Seeing grills, the ones on the auction site show me most of the time mine looks better.....Sure once in a great while there is a NOS grill for sale but the price is $10K and your 1st born male child and 50% of your retirement.....I've already checked to find if there are any plastic chrome shops who will do the work.....NO! they say cause it's too big to do....So tell me gentlemen the solution to this problem of mine.....I'm positive others would like to know too.......Bruce Hansen Senior Citizen (and happy to be alive by the grace of God):)

you could strip it and paint it body color and wait til a good one does show up at a reasonable price

you could strip it and paint it body color and wait til a good one does show up at a reasonable price
Well maybe I could....Just one thing stopping me.... When I work on my car I'm at the point in my life I do the work 3 times: 1) Take it apart and forget how to put it back together 2) Put it back together thinking it's OK with parts left over 3) Take it to a auto shop with the extra parts and let them figure it out.....It's to the point where I'm afraid to change a light bulb..... Bruce Hansen -- SENIOR CITIZEN (and happy to be alive by the grace of God).....See the capital letters?

I am going to enter my seventies next year and sympathize fully... I usually take pictures of everything I am taking apart and use them as a map to reassembly.

I am going to enter my seventies next year and sympathize fully... I usually take pictures of everything I am taking apart and use them as a map to reassembly.
Normally I do too.....but I don't for the "small" jobs I think I can do w/o much trouble.....Good to hear you'll start your seventies next year (thank God you've lived this long) I'll be entering my eighties:(

Normally I do too.....but I don't for the "small" jobs I think I can do w/o much trouble.....Good to hear you'll start your seventies next year (thank God you've lived this long) I'll be entering my eighties:(
So we're back to the question: I know there are folks out there who are just chomping at the bit to jump in with their info on what they have done for the grill....so share the wealth and tell me (and others) what have you done?......Bruce Hansen Senior Citizen (Still alive by the grace of God):)

You just have to pay up for the occasional NOS or mint grille that come up for sale in the various markets if you really want it to look right/good. Its 20-25 year old plastic it is what it is at this stage of the game.

You just have to pay up for the occasional NOS or mint grille that come up for sale in the various markets if you really want it to look right/good. Its 20-25 year old plastic it is what it is at this stage of the game.

I have sold a few NOS Chrome Gilles , but I think it is a waste of money , unless the car remains inside ! I would paint the Grille body color ! Good Luck , Sonny

OK, erictw, germanshepard and Sonny Day Out thank you for addressing this issue.....I understand now about the grills and what needs to be done.....I actually was looking for the "magic cure" to bring my grill back to it's old glory (wishful thinking).....My car is a DD.....So I'll see what can be done by an "Outside Vendor"....My local body shop....Thanks again.....Bruce Hansen Senior Citizen (Still alive by the grace of God):)

My grill is peeling and turning black in different areas.....I'm sure I'm not lone....SO my question is what have YOU done to correct this?.....Seeing grills, the ones on the auction site show me most of the time mine looks better.....Sure once in a great while there is a NOS grill for sale but the price is $10K and your 1st born male child and 50% of your retirement.....I've already checked to find if there are any plastic chrome shops who will do the work.....NO! they say cause it's too big to do....So tell me gentlemen the solution to this problem of mine.....I'm positive others would like to know too.......Bruce Hansen Senior Citizen (and happy to be alive by the grace of God):)

I called ford lincoln dealer and asked them about front grill for my 93 mark viii said they will have to check two days later he calls back says he found a warehouse with some new ones for $780 + shipping so there out there its just what are youwilling to do

Well the nice guy says $550 plus mailing costs. I have kept it for years. TO ME THIS IS CHEAP.

Nothing cheap about a $500 grill on a car that is worth so relatively little on the open market.
Gotta be a labor (and cost) of love on something like that.
If they sold for that much regularly someone in China would be reproducing them
like they do for the Town Car.

This whole thread is a riot from top to bottom.
As it may be a riot to you germanshepart it is a serious subject for me....any way I took the advise given and went to a body shop that has done the majority of the work on my cars....requested a bid for the grill and the chrome strips painted body color while still on the car.....they came back with an almost $800 cost I had a heart attack....wouldn't come down,I left....went to another place I'd done business with and guess what,$300,had them do it,it came out great!.....the paint matched as close as could be expected....all of the to say I'm very pleased I started the conversation.....Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....(Still alive by the grace of God):)

I hope they warranty it for $300, that is pretty bottom barrel for pro paint and body work of any sort.

As it may be a riot to you germanshepart it is a serious subject for me....any way I took the advise given and went to a body shop that has done the majority of the work on my cars....requested a bid for the grill and the chrome strips painted body color while still on the car.....they came back with an almost $800 cost I had a heart attack....wouldn't come down,I left....went to another place I'd done business with and guess what,$300,had them do it,it came out great!.....the paint matched as close as could be expected....all of the to say I'm very pleased I started the conversation.....Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....(Still alive by the grace of God):)
$300 is far better than a ‘friend’ on a forum wanting $550 for something laying around for years and $800 from a shop trying to gouge and your happy which is the most important thing.

It's fantastic if it's still intact in a year, if not, then not such a good deal.
I hope it does.

If I live long enough to retire, I plan to look into doing something as a side hobby/business with that re-chroming stuff I posted before.
That's a pretty big "If" though lol...

It's fantastic if it's still intact in a year, if not, then not such a good deal.
I hope it does.

If I live long enough to retire, I plan to look into doing something as a side hobby/business with that re-chroming stuff I posted before.
That's a pretty big "If" though lol...
This shop painted my stepson's 2001 Ford Ranger P/U in outstanding shape never been hit....People keep asking him if he wants to sell.....NO.....they did a beautiful job (bright red with 2 coats of clear I trust the shop as they've fixed my blend door,replaced the front suspension and other "Stuff" and as my car is not a trailer queen but a DD and don't expect to be awarded "Best in Class"...... IF it lasts whatever time it lasts before breaking down (2/3 years maybe) I'll still be happy. Why? Cause I'll just take it back and have them do it again

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back