98 lsc power loss @ 3800 RPM

BvilleStew

LVC Member
Reaction score
Before I put my 98 lsc w/120K away for the winter in MN I began to notice my cars power band falls flat @ 3800 rpm. Just quits pulling hard.
Figure I should fix it so it's ready for spring.
Where should I start looking? Stuck IMRC's? No Codes.
Fuel Pump? What should the rail pressure be?
Thoughts anyone? :Bang

Fuel pressure should be at 40psi. I would check that first but checking it at idle is not the same as under load, which is ideally what you want to do. Could also be an IMRC issue.

that sounds like an imrc problem. i think you can look and see if they are opening, i know you can on a first gen
when is the last time you changed the fuel filter, plugs, air filter and cleaned your maf????????????

Last edited:
Stick your hand behind the pass side head/intake manifold and find the imrc lever. It'll have a thin cable attached to it that you can barely see from above. Try opening it manually. You can also turn on the motor, stick your hand on the lever and rev it up with your other hand till you pass 3k rpm. It should spring open rather quickly so dont hold onto it.

Thanks, I'll start with the fuel filter & check the IMRC cables. It will be a few weeks before I can try the results. Probably still "parked" for 6 more weeks.
I have a '98 continental for the winter, but it just ain't the same. When spring comes it's like driving a new car again! :D

Thanks, I'll start with the fuel filter & check the IMRC cables. It will be a few weeks before I can try the results. Probably still "parked" for 6 more weeks.
I have a '98 continental for the winter, but it just ain't the same. When spring comes it's like driving a new car again! :D

clean the maf sensor while your at it. i had a miss @ exactly 3800 and it turned out to be the maf. you can also just unplug it. if you unplug it it will idle like sh!t, but if the maf is the issue the 3800 thing will clear up. but a "flat spot" in the power band @3500-3800 and up sounds like imrc locked up.

if your car sits for long periods of time the new ethanol fuels may be causing your fuel filter to get all stopped up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back