98 LSC, aiming for 400 Crank HP

Thanks for all the replies guys. Supercharging and fabing seems a bit overwhelming. I've found a deal on 96 Cobra cams (he won't sell just intake). I've searched to no avail, but what is the typical install procedure for these cams, would it be worth it for me to have them installed? Maybe a set of cobra exhaust manifolds aswell?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply, you don't have to fab anything to put a 96-98 cobra Vortech S-trim on your car. All you need is to buy discharge pipes from a 99 cobra, superchargers online has them for under $200. If the thought of installing a supercharger is overwhelming you don't want to even begin to think about a cam swap. The 96 Cobra cams are only going to get you about 10hp undegreed, if you spend the money to degree them you can get about 25hp. Either way they are not big enough to get you to 400 crank without a lot of supporting work and a ported short runner.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply, you don't have to fab anything to put a 96-98 cobra Vortech S-trim on your car. All you need is to buy discharge pipes from a 99 cobra, superchargers online has them for under $200. If the thought of installing a supercharger is overwhelming you don't want to even begin to think about a cam swap. The 96 Cobra cams are only going to get you about 10hp undegreed, if you spend the money to degree them you can get about 25hp. Either way they are not big enough to get you to 400 crank without a lot of supporting work and a ported short runner.

I'm used to OHV motors, haven't really broken into DOHC engines, thats why I mentioned about the cam swap. Dont wanna go into it blind haha. I'll take a look online and see what I can come up with though.

OSS don't let us discourage you in the quest for power, you can get there a lot of different ways.
The cheapest way would be good ol spray, a little hunting on corral or svtperformance would net you a good deal.
Bolt ons like intake, exhaust, and the usual suspects would help.
SC would get you there for sure but could be short lived if you throw too much boost at the stock set up or end up with a bad tune.
If money isn't much of an issue than a motor swap to a low mileage 03/04 cobra set up might be an option.
If money is truly no issue than build it however you want and give everyone the finger as you blow by them.... Lol

I originally thought I was going to do the bolt on route.
Then I went the build it like you want it route :)
It's been the forever build, at least that's what it seems like. One mod leads to another then another and another, then go back and redo the first upgrade because it doesn't support the others anymore.... I'm not kidding btw.
I bought a SC and a bunch of goodies to start, half way through my motor build getting better parts than I originally planned I started doing the math; several times! Sold the SC to buy a much larger one because at the end of the day the original one wouldn't support the air flow.

Not try to discourage at all, it just needs to be understood that the 4.6 is a small engine in a big heavy car with a power robbing automatic behind it. What it needs more than horsepower is torque and trying to build naturally aspirated horsepower is going to strip the low end away while costing more money in the long run than a properly setup power adder. I hate to say it but if you need N/A power you bought the wrong engine.

Not try to discourage at all, it just needs to be understood that the 4.6 is a small engine in a big heavy car with a power robbing automatic behind it. What it needs more than horsepower is torque and trying to build naturally aspirated horsepower is going to strip the low end away while costing more money in the long run than a properly setup power adder. I hate to say it but if you need N/A power you bought the wrong engine.

True, I tend to look at this car as a package. "any car for that matter"

What do I want out of the car, not at the crank.

This car can be fun on the street with a intake, cam swap, cobra exhaust, stall convertor, drive shaft, gears, tune.
It will open a few eyes at the track for a fun time, but don't except a hot ET. " unless your name is Frank"

If you want more, spray or boost can do that, but I look at it like sex.
I would not consider it safe sex, but fun none the less.
Its a risk.

True, I tend to look at this car as a package. "any car for that matter"

What do I want out of the car, not at the crank.

This car can be fun on the street with a intake, cam swap, cobra exhaust, stall convertor, drive shaft, gears, tune.
It will open a few eyes at the track for a fun time, but don't except a hot ET. " unless your name is Frank"

If you want more, spray or boost can do that, but I look at it like sex.
I would not consider it safe sex, but fun none the less.
Its a risk.

I haven't taken a look at the links that were provided as of yet. My overall goal is to basically be able to put guys around town in their place ;). GXP's and the import crew that are in town (skylines and bmw's) I'm hoping that cobra cams and manifolds along with what I have here to install will help me with that. I'll take a look at those links now though!

The best bang for your buck is gears, drive shaft and a tune.
Get the big girl going.
If you want to install cams I would drop the engine, install convertor at same time with intake and exhaust manifolds.

If that don't do it, spray/boost knowing the risk.

I run 4.10s with a tune and the car has surprised more then one idiot. "including me"

I haven't taken a look at the links that were provided as of yet. My overall goal is to basically be able to put guys around town in their place ;). GXP's and the import crew that are in town (skylines and bmw's) I'm hoping that cobra cams and manifolds along with what I have here to install will help me with that. I'll take a look at those links now though!

I'm pretty sure with Cobra Manifolds you'll need to get a Flaming River steering joint ... Also I believe a steering joint for a Ford Escape will work

Better have deep pockets.
Find one of these.

attachment.jpg

Not easy to find 400 at the crank.

Nice , C head swap ? I didn't think there was a manifold available to mount that m112 to the B heads .

Full terminator swap done by the best.
Plus 5 speed.
Lets call it a J mod :p

This is a very nice car but if you want performance or the most bang for your buck you do not want that Eaton supercharger.

DSCN1635_110.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back