98 Conti that has weird front noise issues

eightiesgod

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am truely perplexed and being a novice on cars doesn't help the equation, but I have a 98 Conti that make the most hideously loud banging and thuding noises in the front suspension that I have ever heard on a car that should very well be luxury ride, but far from..
If I can explain this in words correctly, the car at an angle driving over a hill or coming out of a parking lot or driveway, at any angle will make a popping sound. Just like "POP": then if the road in anyway is not smooth will start to make loud groans of displeasure, thudding if you will, on even the smallest of bumps or road misalignments, from both sides of the suspension equally, it is unreal and apparently untraceable.
I have been to numerous "Lincoln Dealers" and side mechanics alike, all to report that they have no idea what it is, although they do concur that it is there, and they all claim that my front end is as solid as a rock. One mechanic claimed it was a bad tie rod which I paid entirely too much to have it replaced and it changed absolutely nothing. I am at my wits end!!!!
I am concerned basically because I have read on these great forums that the suspensions on these can be complicated because they are air ride and I am starting to believe that that is a major factor, since, for some reason, a dealer can't even tell me whats up..
The car has 110,000 miles and I am the second owner. I have already learned how to change a coil pack because several of them went on me since I owned it, and that was simple, even though the first time the dealer charged me over $400.00 to fix, absurd.

I am just looking for any advice from this vast knowledgeable forum, thanks for helping out a newbie....

eighties

eightiesgod said:
I am truely perplexed and being a novice on cars doesn't help the equation, but I have a 98 Conti that make the most hideously loud banging and thuding noises in the front suspension that I have ever heard on a car that should very well be luxury ride, but far from..
If I can explain this in words correctly, the car at an angle driving over a hill or coming out of a parking lot or driveway, at any angle will make a popping sound. Just like "POP": then if the road in anyway is not smooth will start to make loud groans of displeasure, thudding if you will, on even the smallest of bumps or road misalignments, from both sides of the suspension equally, it is unreal and apparently untraceable.
I have been to numerous "Lincoln Dealers" and side mechanics alike, all to report that they have no idea what it is, although they do concur that it is there, and they all claim that my front end is as solid as a rock. One mechanic claimed it was a bad tie rod which I paid entirely too much to have it replaced and it changed absolutely nothing. I am at my wits end!!!!
I am concerned basically because I have read on these great forums that the suspensions on these can be complicated because they are air ride and I am starting to believe that that is a major factor, since, for some reason, a dealer can't even tell me whats up..
The car has 110,000 miles and I am the second owner. I have already learned how to change a coil pack because several of them went on me since I owned it, and that was simple, even though the first time the dealer charged me over $400.00 to fix, absurd.

I am just looking for any advice from this vast knowledgeable forum, thanks for helping out a newbie....

eighties
no worry for you about air ride.the 98's didnt have front air springs.

Yeah, but it sounds creaky all over in the front and I am sure that replacements are expensive. The rear, I don't really understand, looks like it has bags and struts too? Not sure how they set that up, pretty novice here.

I also own a 98 conti and unfortunately I also own the same popping noise from the front end, right when you first move after you crank up right? Have you checked your Pow. St. fl. system, I just assumed mine was my CV's? For the groaning, sure ya air ride system is function properly? There are only two air shocks on that model and they are in the rear. However the compressor is up front, it can be noisy. What kind of groan? From the front or back, when the car is on or off or both?

Members online

Back