98 Conti Electrical Problems

stinkinlincoln98

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 conti with issues.
None of the controls on the steering wheel work.
The Cruise, the Radio / Climate control and the Horn do not work.
The Radio / Climate controls work (very occaisionally)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

SL98

stinkinlincoln98 said:
I have a 98 conti with issues.
None of the controls on the steering wheel work.
The Cruise, the Radio / Climate control and the Horn do not work.
The Radio / Climate controls work (very occaisionally)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

SL98
have you checked your fuses

mark0101 said:
What about the one under the hood

I'll check again. But the radio / climate controls work (occaisonally) and fuses don't. I'm thinking it's a bad ground or a problem in the steering column.

aristo1963 said:
sounds like your air bag sliding contact in the column is bad.

That doesn't sound very good.... Is this strickly a dealer thing, or can I get at it. I don't mind doing the work. but messing around the airbag area sound risky.

Anyone out there ever try to work on this?

stinkinlincoln98 said:
That doesn't sound very good.... Is this strickly a dealer thing, or can I get at it. I don't mind doing the work. but messing around the airbag area sound risky.

Anyone out there ever try to work on this?

you can buy it from the dealer and replace it yourself,but you have to be careful as you are in the airbag circuit.

aristo1963 said:
you can buy it from the dealer and replace it yourself,but you have to be careful as you are in the airbag circuit.

Thanks for the info. I double checked controls, if I turn the steering wheel (quite a bit) to the left the controls work, so I suspect you are right. If I can get some free time on a long weekend I might try it.... But I'll leave it as is for now.
If I decide to try and tackle it, I'd want to disable the airbag while I work on it. Does anyone know how to temporerily disable the airbag?

Tx

:give

stinkinlincoln98 said:
Thanks for the info. I double checked controls, if I turn the steering wheel (quite a bit) to the left the controls work, so I suspect you are right. If I can get some free time on a long weekend I might try it.... But I'll leave it as is for now.
If I decide to try and tackle it, I'd want to disable the airbag while I work on it. Does anyone know how to temporerily disable the airbag?

Tx

:give

WARNING: THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal backup power supply. This feature provides sufficient backup power to deploy the air bags in the event that the battery (10653) or battery cables are damaged in a collision before the crash sensors are activated. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the negative battery cable is disconnected.

id personally wait about 10-20 min but thats just me :Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back